layer pellets vs. layer crumbles

chickenman17

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
Southeast Oklahoma
I was in Orscheln's today and I noticed they have layer pellets and layer crumbles. They were both the same brand, weight, and protein content. Yet the pellets were $4 higher than the crumbles. Why is that? What's the difference?

I guess because it takes more processing to press the pellets. I have mine on crumbles now (from Mash) I was told a lot of chickens really don't like the pellets?? I have found I have a lot less wast with the crumbles from the lay mash.
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
I just started my chickens on pellets a few weeks ago...at first, they weren't sure what it was I had given them. I threw a few on the ground and they got the hang of it. I'm finding that they are much more economical as the chickens fill up quicker on them and there is no waste. You know how chickens search through their feed, throwing part of it out of the feeder? That doesn't happen with the pellets. I'd been feeding them crumbles for years, but I think I'll be sticking with pellets now.

nutrition is the same.......and there is less waste with pellets....they just have to get use to them if they havent had them before

Quote:
There is less processing time in crumble than in pellet.

Chris

Really? Because sometimes I notice in the crumbles there are a few whole pellets left - I always just guessed that they made the pellets, then ground them for the crumbles...huh...the feed store I use sells them at the same price though...maybe they do it different at the feed place I use?

Back
Top Bottom