Laying (or not) during storms

With my birds it depends how stressed out they get as a result of the storm. I live in NH so the weather is pretty variable and we get lots of squalls. Thunder and lightning don't seem to phase the birds much, nor do snow/rain storms. Wind storms make them very nervous and I will see a decrease in laying. We had a terrible ice storm a while back that destroyed a lot of trees. I had to go out at 2AM to start my generator and could hear trees collapsing under the ice load- sounded like gunshots going off all through the forest. I didn't get any eggs for about a week after that.

It all depends on what your birds are used to, and their temperaments. My hens are pretty unflappable. I have a few newbies that are flighty, so I am curious how they will respond to storms. Our weather has been pretty close to perfect all spring, summer and fall, so the newbies don't have any experience with the crazy NH weather that the old hens are used to. It will be interesting to see if they respond to the same stressors.

Back
Top Bottom