Laying???

WindyOaksYokes

Songster
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Hi All,
I am looking for information on laying. I have read several articals of when the hens should be laying, and to be honest they all just seem to contradict eachother. I am a new mom to over 40 hens which I have had since day one, I am sure there are some of you out there knowing what I am going thru... "when are they going to lay their eggs???". I have buff orpingtons, barred rocks, partridge rocks, light brahams, RI reds, silver & golden laced polish. They are now 15 weeks and I have actually been looking in the nests already LOL... I have also seen a couple of my hens that looks like they are having eggs, but nothing; does this mean they are getting the muscles ready to push the eggs out?? I would appreciate any help that I can get besides an answer that consists of 18 to 22 weeks and certain types sooner or later.

If any of you have any of the same breeds could you please let me know about at what point they started laying.

Thank you so much!

Tes
WindyOaksFarm

i have 2 the same breed and one started to lay sooner than the other, both are the same age. have their combs turned red yet?

I hope I can help ya some...I have RIR...they didnt start laying untill they were about 24 weeks old....my BO are 18 weeks, and I have gotten a few pullet eggs...but nothing really consistant yet. There are so many different variables with different breeds...conditions....weather..lighting. Sorry, I can be more precise.

My RIRs and BRs always start at around they same time. They start laying around 20-24 weeks. Just a few more weeks and you will be getiing eggs.
smile.png

I don't think anyone can give a more exact answer than the 18 - 24 week answer. Some hens lay sooner than others. Some hens lay later. And it isn't just the difference in breed that one lays sooner than another. It is mother nature - just like when we were girls (you know what I mean?) Just be patient. It will happen. You'll wake up and suddenly there it is! Like easter eggs. LOL

Thank you all for the information. As to answer the question of red combs, some of them have them, others do not, but are turning red. I am just anxious and getting sick of spending all that money at the store for eggs that you just don't know how long they have been sitting there, and to feed this family, it takes about 18 eggs per morning. I guess I will just have to be patient!!! Will let you all know when I get my first one, I know I will be jumping for joy!!!

I have one more question, I am looking to sell the extra eggs that we have, what is the best way to get customers? I have talked to one of our local feed stores and they will buy them from me for 1.50 a dozen, ummmm I know I can get more than that for them, can't I?? Heck walmart sells their brown eggs for 1.83 a dozen for the brown eggs. I have a mixture of both brown and white eggs, but mainly all brown. I also need to know where to go to get egg cartons. Can anyone help on this subject.

Thanks again all,

Tes

Of the breeds you have, I only have two RIR's. One laid at 23 weeks, 6 days and the other laid at exactly 27 weeks. Both were hatched March 27, 2006 and came from the same hatchery. Incidentally, my EE laid at 20 weeks, 4 days.

With only three chickens, I don't order cartons. However, I've read others say that Eggcartons.com is a great place from which to order.

I had 2 brown eggs one morning..I only had 2 diffrent types of brown egglayers in that henhouse,sexlink,Rir/nhr.It most likely meant my rir laid unless my sl laide 2 in an hour or so.lol
She laid at about 19 weeks.
smile.png

I understand about waiting. Mine started at 16 weeks but that is really early. As far as cartons I would let friends and neighbors know that you'll have eggs soon and if they want any to stat saving thier cartons and give them a deal like a dozen eggs free with 4 or 5 cartons. Soon you'll have plenty as word gets around. I don't know where you are from but here in NW GA I can get 3.00 pretty easy for my eggs. Check out the local farmers market and see what they are selling them for.

Thanks again for the information. The idea of bringing the cartons for a free dozen is an excelent idea. I am so glad to have found this site!!!
big_smile.png
I have found so much information. By the way, we live just outside Lynchburg Va. I had also thought about selling eggs at the farmers market. I just know that with 40+ hens I will have more than enough eggs for selling.

Thanks again for the help and ideas!!!

Tes

Back
Top Bottom