Lazy or sick chicken?

Update on Bonnie...

After two months of this behaviour, she started getting a lot worse and going way downhill. She was at a point of barely being able to walk anymore. She then started vomiting clear liquid so I decided to take her back to the vets for more extensive tests. Poor girl... turns out she was anemic, had very low calcium levels in her blood, had then developed a gut and crop bacterial infection. So, vet kept her in overnight at the vet hospital, she's been given red blood cell injections to help her anemia, given calcium injections, on anti-inflammatory and antibiotics to clear everything up. She was also given an implant to stop her producing eggs as this was just taking too much of a toll on her, the poor girl. Gives her body a break for a while to recover too. So, we got her back last night, with a lesson from the vets on how to give calcium injections and a bag of dreaded oral medication that we have to give her (the injections are WAY easier to give!).

So, she is on the mend now. We left her outside with the other girls for a stretch last night when we got her back from the vets, and she ran out of the cage, starting flapping and shaking herself out then had a run around the garden. It has given me such joy to see her full of beans and back to her old self again :) And a massive thank you to the amazing vet that really took care of her for me.

Back
Top Bottom