Lazy/sleepy chick success stories?

heelibrarian

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2017
Northern CO
Hi all, brand newbie here! I did some searching around here but didn't quite find what I was looking for, so apologies if it's been covered and I missed it!

We got 4 chicks in mid-March; one of them was a week older than the other 3, a Cuckoo Maran (so, she's 6.5 weeks right now). Sweet as sweet can be, super docile, just lovely. She loves to be held and will fall asleep in your hands. But - from the beginning this has translated into her basically sitting whenever she can (even sitting to eat!), and sleeping more than the others. She does eat, drink, and poop normally. I know she's grown, but really not as much as the others AT ALL. We took to calling her lazy, but now I'm wondering if it's more than just temperament? I got some Nutri Drench and have been putting it in the water and also giving her a tiny drop by beak every 12 hours. It hasn't really perked her up much but I figure it wouldn't hurt to try.

Any ideas for me? I wouldn't be surprised if it was a failure to thrive issue...has anyone had a lazier chick that rebounded and grew? Or is poor Sally Princess (my daughter named her!) just going to fade? Here she is, the sweetie :) TIA!

I have had a Splash Maran with similar circumstances. She preferred to sit in my hand or lap and be lazy. She also had splay leg and a year later is one of the happiest, healthiest henny! I did continue to put save a chick in her water to give her extra electrolytes as well as the probiotic also. Hope your Sally does fine, she looks pretty healthy although you say she is growing slower that the others. Marans in general are slower to mature.

I have had a Splash Maran with similar circumstances. She preferred to sit in my hand or lap and be lazy. She also had splay leg and a year later is one of the happiest, healthiest henny! I did continue to put save a chick in her water to give her extra electrolytes as well as the probiotic also. Hope your Sally does fine, she looks pretty healthy although you say she is growing slower that the others. Marans in general are slower to mature.
Thanks so much for your response - I'm glad to hear that your hen pulled through! Also, to learn that Marans are slower maturing (that helps with my peace of mind quite a bit!). I've also got some Save a Chick so I can try that too.

Back
Top Bottom