Lead paint chips

Tiramisu

Got Mutts
16 Years
May 3, 2008
PA
Family decided to paint one of the barns. We live here, but don't own or rent. They never notified us, and I don't know if anyone bothered to check to make sure it wasn't lead paint. They hired a paint company that pressure washed part of the barn, until we knew what was going on and told them to stop. We had to go out and buy a lead testing kit, and it is lead paint, and tested pretty high. I'm not sure on the regulations on this. There are now paint chips littered all over the ground now.

Is this proper procedure for removing lead paint on an outside building?

Do they need to clean up the paint chips they left all over the ground?

I have tried to email and call my regional EPA agent and no response. Is there someone else I can contact on this? Or links/resources stating if this is okay. I can only find info on indoor procedures. I also live in PA, not sure if states differ with regulations.

We had bees about 20ft away from the barn, and we will probably have to dispatch them and throw away the boxes and all the frames/honey. I was excited to get honey this year, but I don't think it's safe as all the paint dust/particles probably got into the box, and the bees probably tracked it in even more.

My geese, still basically babies at 2 months old, were free ranging outside, I penned them up after all this, but they escaped a couple of those days, and I have no way of knowing if or how much lead they ingested. We had planned to breed them, but now I am not sure if maybe we should scrap them and start all over. Would they even be safe to eat now?

Yikes. I sort of understand that and, well from both sides. The people hiring probably didn't think about it. The painters probably didn't think about it. People assume things or just go about business as usual. Simple oversight or gross negligence? Hard to say.
Either way, yeah, I would think the painting company should clean up what they started.
I can't say what laws there are there but this site seems to have some good links, including some contact info.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom