Leave egg in rack for lockdown?

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
san jose
I've been letting the eggs sit on their side but I've had some issue with splay legs. Is it better to leave them in the quail racks (removed from turner of course) so they're upright and don't roll? Seem like the first one out is ok but the followup guys must have trouble because the first one is bumping their eggs everywhere.

This morning I had to euth one who was just a flailing leg sticking out of the egg for a lil while. It was funny at the time but when we got him out he was too twisted to make it.

Last edited:
Splay leg is not caused from the positioning of the eggs at hatch. The embryo can develop this condition in the egg or a freshly hatched chick that has not developed leg strength can get splay leg from a slippery brooder floor.

Letting the eggs lay on their sides or upright is entirely up to you. I believe that the chick has an easier time getting out of the eggs when on their sides. Others believe that chicks are less likely to drown in the eggs upright.

So it is your call. But I prefer the natural egg hatch, on their sides.

Splay leg is not caused from the positioning of the eggs at hatch. The embryo can develop this condition in the egg or a freshly hatched chick that has not developed leg strength can get splay leg from a slippery brooder floor.

Letting the eggs lay on their sides or upright is entirely up to you. I believe that the chick has an easier time getting out of the eggs when on their sides. Others believe that chicks are less likely to drown in the eggs upright.

So it is your call. But I prefer the natural egg hatch, on their sides.

Do you just lay them on their sides in the bator? Do you put a towl or something to keep them rolling round when they start hatching?

I take my turners out and put down that non slip rubber shelf liner, the white stuff with the tiny holes in it. Lay the eggs on that and it will help give the chicks some traction after hatch. Yes, the eggs do roll around while hatching, but that is not a problem for the hatching babies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom