Are quail more prone to hatching problems?

BrennaM

Chirping
Jun 6, 2022
I've had 2 quail hatches so far a week apart. Last week I had 2 with that I had to cull and this week I have 1 that's a definite cull and another that's possible. 2 had leg issues, 1 had a serious cross beak and deformed face and this last one possibly has curled toes.

Does anyone know if they're more prone to defects? I only had 1 assist hatch for my chicks and ducks out of 25 eggs in the same incubator together. Probably my fault leaving them in the turner for too long as he was in the wrong position.

I have not noticed it in particular. If your humidity is too high it can cause curled toes. Coturnix eggs seem to do better at lower humidity (around 30%) during incubation and up to 50-60% at hatch. It might just be that you're using the exact same conditions as you're using for chickens or ducks and they need different conditions.

I have not noticed it in particular. If your humidity is too high it can cause curled toes. Coturnix eggs seem to do better at lower humidity (around 30%) during incubation and up to 50-60% at hatch. It might just be that you're using the exact same conditions as you're using for chickens or ducks and they need different conditions.
My humidity at hatch has been around 40% and during incubation is around 30% dry. Temp is about 100 but fluctuates slightly during the day.

Back
Top Bottom