Leaving weak chick in incubator

MTrudelle

In the Brooder
May 16, 2022
HELP! Yesterday a hen who was brooding on a hatching clutch abandoned her nest. We lost all of the chicks except one, whose shell was partially open and was peeping, but the membrane was drying out. I quickly got my incubator on to temp/humidity, put Vaseline on the dry membrane and partially opened the shell just enough to allow it to complete hatching on its own. It’s been 24hrs since it hatched, and I know it will be needing food and water. It’s still not dry completely, and it’s moving around but not as active as other chicks I have hatched at this point. I have another hen raising her chicks who are about 7 days old now, I was hoping to introduce this chick to her. But it’s very wet and cold outside, and with a bunch of busy chicks it’s unlikely she will lay on this one to warm it as it needs. And I’m worried it will get picked on as it’s not strong yet.
Would it be advisable to leave it in the incubator with a supply of food and water for now? Lower relative humidity? My brooder is very large, we normally use it for big hatches and If rather not set the whole thing up for 1-2 days, unless it’s necessary. What would you do? Incubator temp is 37.5 and relative humidity is currently at 70%

72 hours is how long before she/he would absotluley need food and water.

Sounds like you've hatched before and know what your doing, but I always wait until they are dry, standing and active (or until the last viable egg hatches, which is not applicable here)

Now that I have answered all the questions that you didnt ask and most likely know, the only real variable between the brooder and incubator is going to be the humidity. As long as you are running it dry, I dont see why I chick with food and water couldn't stay in there for as long as youd want, or at least until it would appear to have enough strength to join the others.

When adding an egg to a hot liquid when cooking, it sometimes is good to add some of the hot liquid to the egg first, temper it, then dump it in the liquid and avoid scrambling it in your otherwise perfect pastry cream. Similar here, you may want to consider pulling a few of the week olds, or at least one, and introducing it to the new one in a brooder once its ready, for a few days - and would most likely give you the best chance of everyone accepting the new baby :) That is just a thought.

Good luck!

Thanks to everyone who replied! This little one (named Vader because they were born on the 4th) has made it and transitioned to being accepted by their surrogate mom!!but I’m still concerned!!! Vader is small, the other chicks less than a week older are thriving and are probably 80% larger than this little one, it’s growing but VERY slowly. Its eyes are frequently closed and it’s docile. I see it eating and drinking but can’t determine which pops are theirs. I have them eating medicated chick starter. I will introduce vitamins into their water tmrw as suggested. Has anyone seen a chick fail to grow and survive!? I’m invested in helping this little one get strong

Back
Top Bottom