LED light bulbs, which, if any are best?

FlatFenders

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2019
I have a 60w (9W) LED bulb in my 63 sq. ft. coop mostly so I can see to count them when locking them up for the night. It is enough light to "read a newspaper by" as others have suggested. I see two different bulbs available, "soft white" and "daylight". I prefer the "daylight", seems brighter but is one of them better than the other for the chickens? Does either of them help with egg production or are they both the wrong light frequency?

You should put your location in your profile, it can make a difference.

Here in the northern hemisphere where I live sunlight is 14:42 today and plenty long enough. The practice of adding artificial light is done in the winter when natural daylight is less than 14 hours. I don't start adding extra light until the winter solstice has passed.

JT

You should put your location in your profile, it can make a difference.

Here in the northern hemisphere where I live sunlight is 14:42 today and plenty long enough. The practice of adding artificial light is done in the winter when natural daylight is less than 14 hours. I don't start adding extra light until the winter solstice has passed.

JT
I doubt that my location has any affect on which LED bulbs (if any) are acceptable to use in a chicken coop.

Do your birds get to enjoy sunlight .
If not then go with day light... its not about it being brighter. It's more natural.
And I would use a digital timer to control night and day
My birds are semi free range at the moment. They have 1/2 acre of fenced in area to roam around in as well as a 300 sq. ft. covered run. Eventually they will be allowed outside the fence.
The bulbs labeled "day light" likely do not emit the full daytime light frequency spectrum. When the time comes to add light. I intend to use a timer and add the artificial light in the morning and allow them to roost as sunset, as they do now. I just want to make sure the bulb I use emits the light frequency that benefits them. I doubt any of them want to "read the paper" (the suggested amount of light).

I'm using daylight led in my coop but it just for doing head counts and upkeep. I have wood shutters over my window. I turn on the light just long enough to do my head count,open or close shutter.
Have you found out anything while researching other places.
I'm not sure about the effects between egg laid and the differences of the lights in question.
I know the lack of light difficulty effect life:)

I'm using daylight led in my coop but it just for doing head counts and upkeep. I have wood shutters over my window. I turn on the light just long enough to do my head count,open or close shutter.
Have you found out anything while researching other places.
I'm not sure about the effects between egg laid and the differences of the lights in question.
I know the lack of light difficulty effect life:)
It's for supplemental lighting for laying during the winter.
Good answer @FlatFenders other thread here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/led-light-bulbs.1317712/

Curious @FlatFenders what does you screen name mean?

It's for supplemental lighting for laying during the winter.
Good answer @FlatFenders other thread here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/led-light-bulbs.1317712/

Curious @FlatFenders what does you screen name mean?
Thanks for the reply. It is the information I was looking for.
"FlatFender" is a Jeep lovers name for Jeeps built beginning in 1941. The shape of the fenders went from "flat" to "curved down in the front" when the M38A1 in 1951 (later became the CJ5) first replaced the MB/GPW's built during WW2. After the war, they were modified/improved and built as civilian versions CJ2, CJ2A, CJ3A. M38, CJ3B and M606. I have more of these than I do chickens. Starting with a 1942 GWP, 1952 M38, 1953 CJ3B and and a bunch of CJ2's and CJ3's. Some of my first memories as a child were pulling a trailer load of milk cans from the barn to the cheese factory 1/4 mile south twice a day in the 1948 CJ2A that my dad bought in 1950 and I have been driving since I was old enough to reach the pedals.
This flock I have now, 23 hens and 4 roosters (need to find a home for the roosters) are the first chickens I have had since about 1960 when I wanted nothing to do with them. :)

My birds are semi free range at the moment. They have 1/2 acre of fenced in area to roam around in as well as a 300 sq. ft. covered run. Eventually they will be allowed outside the fence.
The bulbs labeled "day light" likely do not emit the full daytime light frequency spectrum. When the time comes to add light. I intend to use a timer and add the artificial light in the morning and allow them to roost as sunset, as they do now. I just want to make sure the bulb I use emits the light frequency that benefits them. I doubt any of them want to "read the paper" (the suggested amount of light).
I live in Western Maine. I have 2 SLW that started laying in Dec at 20 weeks and 1 BO and an ISABrown. Second winter for them last winter. I have a cheapie TSC henhouse.. Small Coop and run. I used neither light nor insulation. I did warp all the run with clear tarps. My birds laid every day all winter and are still laying. Anecdotal information.

Back
Top Bottom