Left on vacation and my ducks aren't the same!

quack_and_cluck

Chirping
Jul 20, 2023
SW WA
Hi all!
This is my first post with this account (used to have an old one from a few years ago, couldn't get into it so I made a new one!). I stopped having ducks for a while after some bad predator experiences but I'm back into it again (with a more heavily fortified enclosure than ever) and so happy to be here!
I got my first two ducks from Wilco (so they were a few days old) on April 27, a Rouen (Charlie) and a Cayuga (Marlo). Then, a week later, I got two more, a Black Swedish (Daphne), and a Buff Orpington (Buffy). Outside of school, I spent every spare moment (and I mean that, I had literally no extra time after school and mayyyy have gotten a bit behind in calc...) with my ducks and they became pretty friendly, enjoyed cuddles, and Charlie and Marlo would even cuddle up without any treat incentives.
I left on June 24th and just got back a few days ago. I had a somewhat untrustworthy duck sitter (aka my father) who promised to send me pictures of the ducks daily and cuddle them and take care of their water and food and pond. Despite nagging, I was only sent a few pictures while I was away, and my ducks were only cuddled a few times! I was also sent a video of my ducks being sprayed quite aggressively with a hose after being assured they loved it...He did the best he could, but he's not exactly a fowl person.
I just got back and I quite literally cried at how unfriendly my ducks are. I was going through a severe depressive episode when I got them and they were my light. Now that I'm back, they only come when I have food (no matter how long I sit there), Marlo has become a biter, my sweet Buffy is really skittish, Charlie seems indifferent, and Daphne is the least friendly of all, despite being the most friendly-ranked breed out of them! They seem like totally different ducks.
I've sat with them, fed them lots of treats, and tried cuddling with them, but it just isn't the same! They were definitely imprinted on me, but now they ignore me or seem to be afraid of me! What else can I do? How long will it take for them to get back to the level of friendliness they were before? any and all tips/similar experience is very much appreciated!❤️ thanks so much,
- A concerned duck owner

Back
Top Bottom