Left with a hand full of feathers.

Callous

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 5, 2013
Washington State
It’s a funny and not so funny story. My ladies have all but two gone into molt and I was hoping that they would start lying again. Anyway one of the girls is a bit skittish when people are around and today even more so because of heavy rain and high winds. They usually go to roost around 5 pm but tonight she hid in the corner of the run, probably because of a blue tarp I put over the run next to the coop. It was flapping around a bit. Anyway I thought I would be nice and help into the coop. As I reached down to pick her up she stood up and bolted into a dead run but not before I had my hand on her back, which usually causes her to set back down. As she began to move away my instinct was squeeze but in doing so all I got ahold of was her tail. Please realize that this happened in the blink of an eye. As she ran I heard several small popping sounds, kind of like someone stepping on the bubbles of a packing sheet.
I could not release my grip fast enough and ended up holding all of her tail feathers in my hand. At this point she bolted into the coop and hid under the nesting boxes.
I hope she regains some sense of calm but I fear that she will not come around when I’m in the run which is OK if her tail returns and she starts lying again.

It’s a funny and not so funny story. My ladies have all but two gone into molt and I was hoping that they would start lying again. Anyway one of the girls is a bit skittish when people are around and today even more so because of heavy rain and high winds. They usually go to roost around 5 pm but tonight she hid in the corner of the run, probably because of a blue tarp I put over the run next to the coop. It was flapping around a bit. Anyway I thought I would be nice and help into the coop. As I reached down to pick her up she stood up and bolted into a dead run but not before I had my hand on her back, which usually causes her to set back down. As she began to move away my instinct was squeeze but in doing so all I got ahold of was her tail. Please realize that this happened in the blink of an eye. As she ran I heard several small popping sounds, kind of like someone stepping on the bubbles of a packing sheet.
I could not release my grip fast enough and ended up holding all of her tail feathers in my hand. At this point she bolted into the coop and hid under the nesting boxes.
I hope she regains some sense of calm but I fear that she will not come around when I’m in the run which is OK if her tail returns and she starts lying again.
lau.gif
and you picked the name callous, why? hehehe

lau.gif
and you picked the name callous, why? hehehe
I have been on several forums over the last ten, twelve years and have used Callous in all of them. It kind of fits me, I’m kind of a self-proclaimed Oxymoron'

There was a Quote from Zeno, “When Zeno was told that one of his enemies was no more he was observed to be deeply moved. "What!" said one of his disciples, "you weep at the death of an enemy?" "Ah, 'tis true," replied the great Stoic; "but you should see me smile at the death of a friend."

This lead me to Ambrose Bierce’s The Devil's Dictionary, it was a newspaper weekly first collected as a book in 1906. "While the book represents diabolical appetites, and derides pretense, it should be noted that Bierce generally reserved his severest ridicule for those who benefit most from the status quo."

From the Dictionary, CALLOUS, adj. Gifted with great fortitude to bear the evils afflicting another.

Last edited:
you have my attention and curiosity. this is a definition i never read in websters.lol not that i read the whole book but what you have sounds like some wonderful reading and i plan to look.
frow.gif

Bierce was an interesting person but I find a lot of writers are. You will either like his works or you won’t there seems to be no middle ground. Try reading his “An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge”

Bierce was an interesting person but I find a lot of writers are. You will either like his works or you won’t there seems to be no middle ground. Try reading his “An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge”
thank you for the suggestion. i will look into it

I was out spreading some cracked corn and i looked down, my tailless lady was next to me. I stepped forward and she skittered away but returned when i quit walking staying about 4 feet away. she was intently pecking at the cracked corn. I could feel her third eye on me the rest of the time I was in the run.

I was out spreading some cracked corn and i looked down, my tailless lady was next to me. I stepped forward and she skittered away but returned when i quit walking staying about 4 feet away. she was intently pecking at the cracked corn. I could feel her third eye on me the rest of the time I was in the run.
i was just thinking about that. wondering if she was still ******. funny your not a mind reader as well as a tail puller are you?
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom