Leg almost cut in half/broken

lakebound

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 10, 2013
Southern Indiana
I went out this morning to let my girls and Charlie out and I seen one of my girls in the bottom of the coop. I let them all out to free range and she didn't go out with the rest. I walked over to her and picked her up (she never lets me handle her) I knew something was really bad then.... I put her on this table to look her over really good. Her leg was almost cut in half and under her wing was damaged really bad, and missing feathers. Needless to say my day started off with putting her out of misery, she couldn't walk
sad.png
My coop is an 8x8 with another hen house off the side that's a 4x3. I have a total of 8 (now 7) hens (Easter egger's) and a Buff Rooster. 2. There are no signs of a predator inside the coop. I built it like Ft. Knox after losing a couple in the beginning. They are all close to a year old now. This is my first flock so I'm still learning. Do chickens kill each other? What caused this? They were all fine yesterday

Well I found out what happened. The kids and I went out to look at everything and my son found a tiny hole in the chicken wire, something grabbed her leg and tried to pull her through the chicken wire and chain link fence. The wire cut her leg and broke it...What are the odds of something like that happening with TWO fences around the coop? At least know I know it wasn't the other girls or Charlie....Thank you for your support
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom