leg color genetics?

Henk,

OK that help,
So Black Shanks, White Soles would be W+,Id+,E correct?

One other question, What causes coloring in shanks like a Rhode Island Red where there are Yellow legs tinged in a Dark Red color?

Chris

forgive me if i'm thick but we're dealing with 2 pairs to make up leg color now right? w/w id+/(id+) = willow

w=reseccive willow color which is the actual leg color

id+=?? recessive also. but what is it controlling?

Thanks for all your help,
sib

Quote:
No, white soles require Id
wink.png

Id = inhibitor of dermal melanin (less skin blackness)
id+ means normal skin pigmentation

Quote:
w stands for WHITE, not WILLOW. Willow is a combination of yellow skin plus dermal pigmentation on the legs. Just to add a bt more confusion, the Fm gene (black/slate skin as in silkies) plus W+ (yellow skin) will also give willow, but the skin may be dark enough with Fm that you do not notice the green.

Quote:
It may depend on the breed and how "pure" it is.
I believe in game fowl if you cross a rooster with green legs (green legged Hatch) bred to hen with white legs (Asil) this will give you pullets with yellow legs and cockerels with white legs.
If the hen is not pure for leg color you will get Pullets with Green and or Blue legs and Cockerels with Yellow and or White legs.

I got the information of the Reference Chart for Leg Color by Pall Scott.
Ultimate Fowl Wikpedia has the chart on there site under Breeding and genetics, then Leg Color, then at the bottom of the page it says Leg Color Chart. Click it and the Chart will pop up.

Chris

I know this is an older thread, but I was searching for personal confirmation of my personal hatching.

Hatched 12 eggs this season
Rooster blue wheaten ameraucana
Hens hatchery RIR -- that I received when someone was having to down size

Of the eggs that hatched 5 yellow legged cockerels & 7 green leg pullets. Was excited to discover my accidental sex link!

Thanks Chris for posting the info!

Quote:
It may depend on the breed and how "pure" it is.
I believe in game fowl if you cross a rooster with green legs (green legged Hatch) bred to hen with white legs (Asil) this will give you pullets with yellow legs and cockerels with white legs.
If the hen is not pure for leg color you will get Pullets with Green and or Blue legs and Cockerels with Yellow and or White legs.

I got the information of the Reference Chart for Leg Color by Pall Scott.
Ultimate Fowl Wikpedia has the chart on there site under Breeding and genetics, then Leg Color, then at the bottom of the page it says Leg Color Chart. Click it and the Chart will pop up.

Chris

I know this is an older thread, but I was searching for personal confirmation of my personal hatching.

Hatched 12 eggs this season
Rooster blue wheaten ameraucana
Hens hatchery RIR -- that I received when someone was having to down size

Of the eggs that hatched 5 yellow legged cockerels & 7 green leg pullets. Was excited to discover my accidental sex link!

Thanks Chris for posting the info!

The male carries two copies of dermal melanin. This is a sex linked gene that the father gives to the daughters. This gene adds black pigment to the shanks causing them to be blue- if you add the yellow skin you get green shanks. The daughters do not receive sex linked genes from the mother. The cockerels inherited a sex linked gene called dermal melanin inhibitor from the mother- they have nice yellow legs because they do not express any black pigment in the shanks. The dermal melanin inhibitor gene inhibits the addition of black to the shanks.

Your blue wheaten ameraucana must have yellow skin and green shanks. Yellow skin is recessive to white skin. If your ameraucana had white skin ( blue shanks)- then the females would have blue shanks and the males would have white shanks.

Somebody sold you an easter egger. Sorry.

Tim

Thanks Tim. I have no prob calling him an EE. He came from eBay hatching eggs, so I can't verify how "pure" he is. Was the only chick out of a dz eggs. Here he is as a young cockerel & pic today hanging out with my flock of olive eggers. He is a pretty boy, my DD favorite bird. I will mate him with RIR girls again in the spring so I can hatch & only keep the pullets. The green legs make for interesting conversation when people that aren't around chickens visit.

Genetics make my head swim!!! But it is slowly making more sense!

691a7067.jpg

e1179b81.jpg

So if I cross a roo with blue legs to a chicken with yellow legs, I would get offspring with yellow and blue?

What if I cross the roo with again in F2, would I get blue legs in all offspring?

Leg color -

Rooster Hen Pullet Cockerel

W          G   W    W           

W           Y   W    W           

W          B   W    W           

W         W   W    W

B         W   B    W

Y         W   W    W

G         W   Y    W

W=White G=Green Y=Yellow B=Blue

So what about these...

Leg color -
Rooster Hen Pullet Cock
Y B ? ?
B Y ? ?

And where do black legs (Astralorps) fit into the picture?

Back
Top Bottom