Leg colors for bantams

Where can I find information for leg colors for the Bantam breed? What color leg for each color of Bantam?

Are you talking about chickens?
There are many different bantam breeds, and most of them come in multiple colors.

Hatchery websites are often a good place to look for that information. For example:
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/bantam_golden_sebright.html
There is a section called "quick stats" that lists many things, including leg color.
That exact bantam breed (Golden Sebright) has legs that are slate/blue (two names for one color of legs.)

Some other hatcheries list leg color as well. McMurray was just the first one I thought of right now.

Are you talking about chickens?
There are many different bantam breeds, and most of them come in multiple colors.

Hatchery websites are often a good place to look for that information. For example:
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/bantam_golden_sebright.html
There is a section called "quick stats" that lists many things, including leg color.
That exact bantam breed (Golden Sebright) has legs that are slate/blue (two names for one color of legs.)

Some other hatcheries list leg color as well. McMurray was just the first one I thought of right now.
You can tell by how I ask a question that I am a novice, yes bantam chickens, we only have Old English Game Bantams as of now but am interested in the Bantam chicken as a whole.

You can tell by how I ask a question that I am a novice, yes bantam chickens, we only have Old English Game Bantams as of now but am interested in the Bantam chicken as a whole.

Got it :thumbsup

Old English Game Bantams are one breed of bantams. Other bantam breeds include Sebrights, d'Uccles, Japanese. Some breeds come in both bantam and large sizes: Cochins, Brahmas, Cornish, Wyandottes, Plymouth Rocks. (This is not a complete listing of bantam breeds, just some examples.)

If you want to know, I would recommend checking out the American Standard of Perfection, American Bantam Standard, or Storey’s guide to Poultry Breeds which lists all of the leg colors for each bantam variety. You should find them at the library.
Assuming you are in the USA, the Standard would be a good thing to check (if you can get it-- my library does not have it.)

I think the hatchery websites are usually giving the same information, which is why I tend to start with them: quick and easy and cheap, which is good for someone who is curious but doesn't care too strongly (that's me.)

If you are serious about raising chickens that have all the correct traits for their breed, it might be worth buying your own copy of the Standard of Perfection (it is the official statement of what traits each breed is supposed to have.)

Some breeds have different standards in different countries, so if you are not in the USA it would be better to find a source that is right for your country. Many countries do have an organization that produces a Standard of Perfection for breeds in their country.

Got it :thumbsup

Old English Game Bantams are one breed of bantams. Other bantam breeds include Sebrights, d'Uccles, Japanese. Some breeds come in both bantam and large sizes: Cochins, Brahmas, Cornish, Wyandottes, Plymouth Rocks. (This is not a complete listing of bantam breeds, just some examples.)

Assuming you are in the USA, the Standard would be a good thing to check (if you can get it-- my library does not have it.)

I think the hatchery websites are usually giving the same information, which is why I tend to start with them: quick and easy and cheap, which is good for someone who is curious but doesn't care too strongly (that's me.)

If you are serious about raising chickens that have all the correct traits for their breed, it might be worth buying your own copy of the Standard of Perfection (it is the official statement of what traits each breed is supposed to have.)

Some breeds have different standards in different countries, so if you are not in the USA it would be better to find a source that is right for your country. Many countries do have an organization that produces a Standard of Perfection for breeds in their country.
Thanks again for the great info, I updated my location, just an old country boy from Central Alabama.

Thanks again for the great info, I updated my location, just an old country boy from Central Alabama.
We do have people from England and Australia and a variety of other countries, so I try to remember to check. (It is most obvious with Araucanas. Theirs look much different than ours: not wrong, just following a different standard.)

We do have people from England and Australia and a variety of other countries, so I try to remember to check. (It is most obvious with Araucanas. Theirs look much different than ours: not wrong, just following a different standard.)
I knew this fellow was American because his Old English are distinctly American type.
That does remind me, though.
http://www.openpoultrystandards.com/Main_Page
has most bantams but you have to beware.
Old English in Australia are very different from the US so you can’t trust that Standard at all. Black breasted red here must have white shanks. Over there, it can be almost any color!

Back
Top Bottom