Leg injury or...?

Salty Cookie

Chirping
Apr 10, 2020
It has been 4 weeks since Mango (ISA brown, four years old, stopped laying about a year ago) has been separated and staying in the house since my daughter found her standing with one leg, and left leg curled. She had mites but I got rid of them. There is no swelling on the ankle and assumed it was a soft tissue injury. She was in a sling for the first week but she is standing with one leg or sitting down in a box now. She doesn't want to put weight on her left leg but sometimes she puts her left foot on the ground lightly. When I touch her foot with my finger, she grabs my finger but when I push her foot up, she won't push it back while the other leg does.

I have continued giving her extra vitamins and other nutritious stuff. Her left thigh is getting skinny (I guess she is losing muscles.) My concern is that the left side of her belly (right beside the thigh) feels firmer than the right side. I am now wondering if the hard stuff is tumor or something and it is affecting her left leg movement.

I want to see how she goes a little longer, but I guess she should be better by then if it were soft tissue injury and some sort? I don't feel anything broken. Anyone had a similar experience and ended up finding tumor???

Attachments

• mango.jpeg
    mango.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 30
You have had a couple of threads in the past about chickens with a curled or lame leg, and the one you had posted died. You had wondered about Mareks being something to rule out? How did the last hen do? It this she? I would try to get a necropsy on her if you would lose her one day. Mareks can cause curled toe paralysis, but an injury could as well. Mareks generally affects chicken that are younger, but not always if they have been exposed more recently. Here is where to locate the state vet in your state:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

You have had a couple of threads in the past about chickens with a curled or lame leg, and the one you had posted died. You had wondered about Mareks being something to rule out? How did the last hen do? It this she? I would try to get a necropsy on her if you would lose her one day. Mareks can cause curled toe paralysis, but an injury could as well. Mareks generally affects chicken that are younger, but not always if they have been exposed more recently. Here is where to locate the state vet in your state:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Thanks! I just reviewed the two browns and a Speckled Sussex hen that I posted in the past. I should have updated and report.

Both of the browns were the ones that laid lash eggs. One of them started back to normal for a little while, then she passed. It was definitely salpingitis. Melon, the other ISA brown... She was standing alone, away from the flock since she was not feeling well. I think a bald eagle was eating her when I got home from shopping. When it saw me, it flew away with Melon. I fond a lash egg among a lot of feathers and bits of meat and bones on the spot where the eagle was eating her. So I am guessing she had salpingitis as well. I have stopped finding lash eggs since they passed.
Also I lost a Speckled Sussex that I suspected Marek's, but my local poultry group director confirmed it was not Marek's and we were able to enter our birds to the show. Now I see other people's posts and think it was vitamin deficiency.
I have researched about Marek's but I doubt it. I have about 25 chickens now and they are not vaccinated. I am guessing if it were Marek's, I would have lost multiple birds in a short period of time? I have lost 5 birds out of 20+ in four years but none of them really showed Marek's symptoms... I should not rule out the potential of it being Marek's but I should have lost more birds if it were Marek's, and since most of my birds are over two years old now, they should be immune against Marek's by now???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom