Leg not working after hawk attack on 8 week chick; possible torn ligament. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

DixxieChick

Chirping
Jun 20, 2019
Southern Indiana
I came up from the basement yesterday to commotion; went outside and a large hawk was struggling to untangle itself from the chicken wire that had been a temporary run for this year's chicks. After he flew away I found three babes huddling together nearby and Elsa, a Colombian Wyandotte and my daughter's favorite, unable to walk. She has what appears to be two small superficial puncture wounds on her leg and it hangs limp. I put Manuka honey with a paper towel bandaid on those. (Maybe the puncture wounds aren't superficial?) She is in a small box in the sunroom with flax bedding and a little feed and water. I put some clover in too.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I found a few articles on somewhat similar injuries. Some say splint and some say make them walk on it, others say immobilize for months. My daughter's original favorite, a bantam mutt named Betty that was an incredible bird, died a gruesome death from a neighbor's dog last fall. She's seven and still talks about her. My older kids are having a sleepover at their grandparents' and don't know yet. They come home today. I want this bird to live a decent life so badly. Is there any hope? Thank you for taking the time to read this and any advice you might have to give.

I had a cockerel who was quite small attacked by a hawk right before my eyes. Slammed into his back. I ran off the hawk and discovered that both of his legs weren't working.

His legs got better in about a week or so and he became a healthy rooster.
Keep an eye on your babe and give them some blueberry treats and extra love.

Definitely clean the wounds to the best of your ability, punctures can go ugly. Sugar water can help if shock is suspected, also poultridrench to get through the initial phase. Chickens are amazing at healing, especially young birds. Because you have punctures, use your nose when addressing the wounds - sometimes you can detect infection that way before you can really see it.

Here's a tiny version of a chick chair that @Kattnchick came up with- I like the design because it allows the bird to scoot along even with a bad leg instead of being stationary, if you can rig something similar, if she'll accept it.

1593068495487.png

@DixxieChick can you see a vet just for an xray? Splinting can be done if the leg is broken. The wounds might be a dompound fracture, but there might be tendon or ligament damage. If you have pictures of the wounds or can describe what part of the leg is hurt, that might help. Here is a splinting link for birds that has a lot of info on the success of various fractures:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Back
Top Bottom