Leg Problem with some of my birds in my flock!!

redshoulderfox

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Every once in a while I would get a bird that was not able to stand, usually because of an injury that happened seconds before. But on one occasion I had a bird that just collapsed. To help these birds I would keep the bird separate from the flock. I would put a towel into a doughnut shape and I would put the bird inside that doughnut to keep its weight off the bird's legs. I would do this until the bird could stand and walk fairly well again and then I would put her out with the rest of the flock. Recently I did this with one bird that got injured and I used this same method. Then a couple days after I had put her with the rest of the flock I found her slouched and there was poop that was on its way out her system but it was stuck and bloody. I brought her up to the house to try and help her but she died.
Also I have another bird that has a different leg problem. She can walk fairly well but her hocks have moved toward each other causing the legs to go a bit off to the side. She has also been acting more lethargic than normal.
For these reasons I think there might be a disease in my flock. Does anybody have any idea about what is going on and what I can do to fix it?

Hopefully not inbreeding. U could possibly treat the bird for splay leg. Maybe that procedure might help

I have rewritten this post in a new thread titled,"Confusing health issues with my quail - revised HELP." I did this to make what I'm saying more clear. So check out the the thread I stated instead of this one.

Back
Top Bottom