Leg problem?

cheeperchick

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
NM
So I have this 18 wk Delaware roo that has a leg problem. He lays down alot and when he does walk he's slow and kind of limping. There's no signs of bumblefoot. I already treated with coccidosis with corid and lice with poultry dust. I felt the legs today and it felt like the legs & joints connecting up to the body are very warm, at least warmer than some of the other chickens I checked. Twice I've had to place him on the roost. He roosts closer to the ground. Any idea what this might be? He eats & drinks normally.

It's possible that he has a sprain, or an infection such as tenosynvitis or mycoplasma synoviae. Hopefully, it' s just a sprain that confining him in a crate for a week or so, and giving him vitamins in the water may help. Do a Google search on the two diseases above for some info.

I'm posting references that you can read about MS and viral arthritis or tenosynvitis. Does your rooster has any blisters on his chest that might be indicative of mycoplasma synoviae (MS?) Does he have any respiratory symptoms? If you are worried about MS, you can give him Terramycin or oxytetracycline in his water for treatment. Here are the links to read:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/99/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-ms-infectious-synovitis
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...s/overview_of_viral_arthritis_in_poultry.html

Last edited:
What would respiratory symptoms be? He looks normal to me other than the trouble walking. I need to check for blisters on chest.

Symptoms of respiratory problems in chickens are gasping, wheezing, rattles, sneeze or cough, nasal or eye drainage, eye bubbles, and swelling of the eyes or face. The reason I'm asking is sometimes they will also have respiratory symptoms with MS, but those symptoms may be absent.

Last edited:
No, none of those symptoms and no blisters on chest either. I did notice that he trembles a little when standing and the tail is down most of the time.

With an ill chicken, they may require a little extra warmth to keep up their body temperature. Maybe bring him inside in a crate, or add a small light bulb for heat to his roosting area.

Back
Top Bottom