Leg Problems, Frostbites or Predator?

The missing nail might have been from it getting caught on something, but i dont think scaly mites will take off a nail
Yea, thats my weird theory because I see some sheep wool on the missing nail, so I am thinking maybe his nail got caught in sheeps wool somehow.

But the other leg with mites seems to be a bigger problem.

I have problems getting a Epson Salt because here you need perscription for that and I dont know why.

But I am working on it. Meanwhile pelase take a look at updated pictures:
IMG_20190112_134447.jpg

This leg is missing that huge nail.

IMG_20190112_134507.jpg

HDR Pic on better leg with nail, but I wanted to show you that weird colors on the scales, are this mites?

IMG_20190112_134509.jpg

Same as above

IMG_20190112_134516.jpg
Again the better leg with dirt and blood, maybe he had a fight, but I dont know with who?

IMG_20190112_134543.jpg

Above the small thumb you can see a missing nail and it is cloged with something, i bet that is a sheep wool.

IMG_20190112_134549.jpg

Just a leg, looks healthy to me.

When i was touching him he was warm, also his legs were pretty warm and outside is maybe 0 celzious. He is mobile but mostly lays on the ground.

I wont be able to get epson salt until probably monday. Are there any alternatives I could do? Also here is winter and very cold and I am not really looking to place him inw ater if it is not needed because I am not sure if i be able to dry him 100%.

Do you have somewhere you could bring him in? Yes making sure he’s dry in winter is very important. That’s why I would only soak his legs (hold him above the water) The clog as you put it might be dead tissue. It happens in toes or in combs when they have frostbite for example. He lays a lot because his feet hurt. Double check that he gets to the feeder & water. You could go ahead and apply a thick coat of Vaseline without the soak. Soaking just makes it more effective. The Vaseline smotheres the mites.
If you could crate him somewhere warm till he’s dry after a soak that would be wonderful. The epsom salt’s softens the scales and makes it easier to brush them away. If you just have warm soapy water that could work too.

Where are you located? (state/country)
If you don't have epsom salts, you can soak the legs in warm soapy water (just use a mild soap). Clean the legs, try to get some of the dirt/debris off them, dry him well, then apply some type of oil.
Vaseline, A+D ointment, castor oil, coconut oil, etc.

It looks like he has Scaly Leg Mites.
Also, what happened to his spur? Did you trim one or do you think it got knocked off.
The other spur is bloody - did you remove the outer sheath or was that injured too?

He's not walking well probably because the spur(s) look to be recently damaged, also the SLM is not helping either.

I understand it's cold, so if you have to put him back outside when you are done treating him, make sure he's completely dry. If any feathers are wet, use a hairdryer to get those good and dry before he goes back out.

What do you feed him?

upload_2019-1-13_11-39-33.png

upload_2019-1-13_11-40-10.png

upload_2019-1-13_11-40-27.png

Yes, the main problem is a broken spur. I did not do anything yet with him because it is too damn cold and I have no warm place for him. He is doing OK, he is in one of the dens he picked for himself which is BTW not the HEN house which the chickens picked (in the hen house they raised boards since they love to sit on those boards during the night. But the rooster is now on the ground, that den is probably the warmest of all and maybe that why he picked it.

I am from Croatia and at this moment temperatures here at night are freezing and I am afraid to use any water on chickens. I have two chicks and one of them have a weird leg, nothing scary, but it might be SLM. So I would need to threat that chick too. But the problem is I got these chicks from an egg farm and the condition of them when I got them were disastrous. They didn't have a single feather. Now they look better but I see some damage on the fether. What can that be? Maybe I need to post pictures. I was thinking that the rooster is damaging them during the sex.

chicks and all other animals are free walking in the huge backyard, mostly they search food on the ground. But every day I throw them corn, sometimes I throw bread and every day I throw leftovers of what we didn't eat or what is not eatable by humans but animals love it. Most of that food is eaten by dogs, some of it is eaten by sheep and chicken and ducks take their part I am sure.

I provided water to the rooster to be as close to him as possible and I throw him corn since he is unable to go and find the food by himself.

The situation here is bad, in the next 30 days I am sure it will be cold, are those mites so bad? Can chicks survive 30 days in these conditions?

Also, I have ducks, do this mites go on ducks as well?

I really don't know what to do, I can't bring a huge rooster into a house, if I could I would, but I have a baby boy who at the moment is having chickenpox (can a human get those from chicken since it is called on English chickenpox?)

Back
Top Bottom