Legbar x lavender orp

If the Orpington is the male and the Legbar is the female, then all of your male chicks will inherit barring from their Legbar mother and none of the female chicks will, so they should be sexable by presence or absence of the barring head spot as chicks.

If the Legbar is the male, then no, they will not be sexable at hatch. He'll pass barring to both male and female offspring and they'll be indistinguishable.

In chicken genetics Males take precedent over females.

Lavender Orpington x Cream Legbar is a sex linked cross. Males will hatch with black headspot
I put some Cream Crested Legbar hen x Lavender Roo eggs in the incubator and the first chick hatched out black with some very minor light markings on its stomach… how do I tell if they have a black head spot? 😅

The head spot for barring is actually white, not black. These are pure Barred Rock bantams, but they show what the head spot looks like. It's that white spot on the top / back of the head. You can see from the second chick that the spot can be pretty faint at times. That spot indicates that the chick inherited barring. If your chick from that specified cross (non-barred male bred to barred female) doesn't have anything like that on the back of its head, that would mean it's a female.

Barred Rock Bantam blue band head spot.jpg
Barred Rock Bantam no band head spot.jpg

(The one that says Blue in blue text was just indicating that chick's leg band color for my records.)

Back
Top Bottom