Legbars - boys or girls, please help!

Elefreda

In the Brooder
May 10, 2023
Hi there,
We have just hatched 5 legbar chicks, went for these as we wanted to be able to sex them early as some are for us and some for a friend - we want girls, they are happy with either.
I've been looking at how to sex the legbars over the last few weeks so that I knew what to look for but now they are here they aren't matching what I've seen online (I was expecting to see darker, chipmunk markings for the females - paler with spot on head for males). I know there's always some variation but none of these are as obvious as I hoped.
I've queried it with the person who gave me the eggs and they are saying that dark is female, pale is male, stripes and spots are nothing to do with it. I've asked them to confirm that they're legbars and they say they are. So I'm confused.
Can anyone help by looking at the photos and saying which sex you think they are? For what it's worth my guesses based on what I'd seen about stripe and spot markings are (from left to right) girl, boy, girl, boy, girl (the one of the far right has more stripes but the photo hasn't picked them up well) but none of them are really clear to me.You can't see it in the photos but the ones that I think are female also have quite clear eye stripes. #2 has pale stripe but #4 has no eye stripe at all.
The person who gave me the eggs says it's purely by colour and says we have 3 boys, 2 girls (#4 and #5).
HELP!
IMG_6369.JPG

I haven't hatched many & my own eggs from last year's purchases are very light in color. One of my 4 hens lays almost pure white egg - we eat that one.

The chicks I've purchased this year, last year & my 1st time in 2018 - none have ever been that dark.

These 5 chix are mixes - a CLB roo over 3 Barnevelder hens, 1 Bielefelder hen, 1 Blue Ameraucana hen & 1 CLB hen. The 3 lighter chix in the middle could be the purebred legbars - I didn't separate the eggs (I now have mesh bags & in future the blue eggs from that pen will be separated from the brown). The 2 smaller chix to the right (yellow striped down) are wheaton Ameraucana bantams. One survived being picked on by the larger chix & is a nice girl.

20230412_054412.jpg

Unfortunately, the pics of my 2nd hatch are missing. I know I took them, because I was so excited. 1 chic from mixed pen is "blue", so that one is out of the blue Ameraucana. No or negligible stripes, no head dot. 2 other chix from that hatch are darker - can't remember if they had head dots. The darker Barnevelder chix (both pure & CLB Xs) do have stripes. My 3 Barnevelder hens, in w/ CLB roo, lost thier roo before I got fertile eggs this spring. He passed during an unseasonable cold snap & they aren't laying well. I don't have pure Barnevelder chix this year to compare to. I lost all my purchased Barnevelder chicks last year - also during weird weather. All were purchased - 2 breeder lines (10) & 6 hatchery chix.

I purchased these CLB chix last year. I bought all the breeder had left from that hatch. These pics dont show all the boys' (4) head spots, but they were there... Yes, some girls are darker striped, but bodies aren't black.

20220409_152207.jpg

Back
Top Bottom