Leghorn Thread

Pics

KBHatchery

Songster
6 Years
Feb 19, 2013
Monroe, North Carolina
I looked around BYC and didn't find a thread that was for all varieties of Leghorns. So I decided to make one for everyone to post stories, pictures, and questions about/of their Leghorns. Ill start with pictures of my leghorns.

We are starting a small hatchery here in NC, and for our first breeds we decided to order from Murray McMurray Hatchery.
20 Females and 5 Males of both Leghorns and RiRs, 10 blue and 15 buff Silkies. My RiRs and Leghorns are growing on a daily basis now and we still have to get the coops, runs, and the office on the second floor completed. Today they are 5 months old, and their traits are more dominant to see what sex they are.

I just hatched out some isabelle leghorn chicks and thought I'd share.

Alright I will revive this thread. I'm posting pictures of my leghorns from about a month ago. I need honesty on whether on not they are worth keeping and breeding. I do not have a male and need to decide if they are worthy of getting one
bow.gif
. EDT: They just started laying a few days ago and their combs and wattles are bigger and redder.

Last edited:
Thank you. Still no reply. I've never bought eggs. It is a crap shoot if the eggs are handled carelessly. If you or anyone knows of a reputable breeder of leghorns, I'd appreciate the tip.
It is a luck of the draw kind of thing. Mine got shipped all the way from arkansas to indiana. Arrived in great shape. they set me 6 extras and not one of the eggs was cracked. They also included a cool pack. Like I said before, they have breeder qualitity. It is a start. I wish I could of found multiple people so I actually could of had a choice on who to get from. I emailed the owner directly and talked to her a little before I got eggs and she was very honest with me. This is the only lead I have, let me know if you find another. Mine are in the incubator right now. Here is a link to their website
http://shop.gabbardhatchingeggs.com/collections/hatching-eggs/products/rose-comb-brown-leghorn

I love my Leghorns! I once read a review of them on here that described them as the Jack Russel Terriers of chickens. I used to have a JRT and have to say that fits them perfectly! They are not my chill wander around the yard chickens. They are the ones who test the boundaries of chicken flight and of fences. Always entertaining and comical even if I can never catch them.

Back
Top Bottom