Leghorn?

Amelia17839

Hatching
Mar 28, 2024
I have this chick who was supposed to be a legbar but then at about 2 weeks I realised it looked completely different from the others so messaged the person I got them from and he said it’s actually a leghorn but now it’s 4 weeks old and I’m not convinced it’s a leghorn as it’s got a double comb starting to grow and has a few feathers on its legs so any ideas what it is and whether it’s male or female
IMG_5368.jpeg
IMG_5372.jpeg

I have this chick who was supposed to be a legbar but then at about 2 weeks I realised it looked completely different from the others so messaged the person I got them from and he said it’s actually a leghorn but now it’s 4 weeks old and I’m not convinced it’s a leghorn as it’s got a double comb starting to grow and has a few feathers on its legs so any ideas what it is and whether it’s male or femaleView attachment 3784508View attachment 3784510
Looks like it's Sicilian butter cup, plus some crested breed. Maybe mixed with Easter Egger(Some EEs have feathered legs).

V-comb breeds (like polish) can do funny things when crossed with other combs. Feathered legs means it has in its ancestry one (or more) of the following: French marans, silkie, sultan, faverolle, cochin, brahma, or a couple of others. As it grows more, other indicators may show up to help with figuring it out.

V-comb breeds (like polish) can do funny things when crossed with other combs. Feathered legs means it has in its ancestry one (or more) of the following: French marans, silkie, sultan, faverolle, cochin, brahma, or a couple of others. As it grows more, other indicators may show up to help with figuring it out.
Thank you any idea whether it’s male or female or do I need to wait a few more weeks?

6-8 weeks is usually revealed. Cockerels tend to pop wattles and comb starts growing with the wattles by then. Some breeds have gender specific feather patterns that show by then too. Others take longer (silkies for example), and mixes can be even more difficult.

FWIW, I'm not seeing anything (yet) that says cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom