Legs the wrong color for green eggs

saddlebags

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 20, 2007
weatherford Texas
I just hatched three chicks in my incubator the roo was from Ideal an EE and the hens were EE as well. I noticed that the legs are not slate on the chicks .Will the EE gene not be carryed over to my chicks?
I dont want to bother hatching them if they dont breed true.
My Roo and two hens were from Ideal Poultry their amercauna breed and the other from a feed store. Ill post pics of the chicks after work..

I have an 10 week old EE hen from MM and she has yellow legs, and then one that has mixed color...most of the other hens and one roo have willow or slate colored legs.
My hen should be laying in the next couple of months so I will keep you posted as to what color eggs she lays.
Otherwise, enjoy her growing up - they do it so fast....

EEs do not breed true because they are crosses. Anything goes with the offspring when they are crossed back into each other because the genetics is a mix of various traits.

I will point out that not all "Ameraucana" or "EE" show their true leg colors right at hatch. Some change over several weeks as they grow and the pigment comes in.

Jody

To the best of my knowledge, leg color has nothing to do with egg color.

Which trait are you concerned with -- the egg color or the leg color? Most likely neither will breed true with EE's, though if you breed selectively for several generations, you could probably make it so.

here are a couple of pics of the chicks

babiessmall.jpg

bab2s.jpg

2 Americaunas
1 RIR/Americauna
3 Barred Rock/Americauna

the easter egg chicks I hatch out from my flock are all mixed, and every year we get different colored eggs, they get lighter, bluer, greener... really neat looking. Feet are all different too on the chicks. I thougth that the color of their eggs were the color of their ears? at least thats what martha stewart says!!!
eggs005.jpg

they were still a little wet cause I had just washed them. sometimes when I collect them they look like camoflage eggs!!

Please excuse me if I am reading your post wrong but it seems to me that you may be confusing the term "EE" with a true Ameraucana. "EE's" are sold by the hatcheries and are most likely, in all probability, not true Ameraucanas.

Your green eggs are typically from either a cross between and EE and a Brown Egg Layer or a true Ameraucana and a Brown Egg Layer. As one person has already posted, when breeding EE's you really don't know what you're gonna wind up with because you really don't know what you're beginning with.

If you'd like to email me privately, I can send you some sites where there is very good and reliable information on Ameraucanas vs. EE's.

God Bless,

Quote:
Martha's letting us down on this one, I'm afraid.

For example, according to the standard of perfection, Modern ("True") Araucanas must have red earlobes and lay blue eggs. Most of my Araucanas meet this standard. Occasionally I get a bird or two with a little white in their earlobes, but this is a disqualification because it means my birds were crossed with a Mediterranean breed somewhere way back.

Sometimes a mixed breed's mottled red & white earlobe will have a tinge of blue where the red & white colors meet. I got lots of this when I crossed a RIR rooster with leghorn hens. I think since a lot of EE's are mixes between red & white-earlobed breeds, this blue streaking where the colors blend is what gave way to the myth that blue- and green-egg laying chickens have blue or green lobes. But my RIR/Leghorn mixes laid tan eggs and had the same blue-tinged mottled earlobes, so I think I can safely say that the earlobe color/egg color relation is for the most part a myth.

Here are some updated pics of the chicks the americaunas legs have turned green so everything is good.
americaunab.jpg

baby.jpg

this baby is a Barred rock/Americauna

baby1.jpg

The actual color of this chick shows darker in the pic but it is light gray to blue ..

Back
Top Bottom