Lemon Blue and Self Blue

hi all!
I just started breeding bantam cochins this year and crossed my buff roo with my white hens (dont have a white roo) and I ended up with this lovely trio...

I was hoping to get some opinion on color and such from those who have been working on this color for awhile. I hope/plan to cross them come spring. what can I expect from them?
Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if this guy would be considered lemon blue. The pic isn't great but he has gold not red in his hackles and shoulders. His saddle is coming in dark grey. His dad was a bbr araucana and his mom was a blue and white splash. Or is he just a messy blue with gold leakage.

19098_11-10-2010_087.jpg

I have a tailed pullet that is what I would call a blue duckwing. She has the girl duckwing pattern but she is blue. I will try to get pics. Anyway I was thinking of putting the two together and seeing what I would get. I would love more blue duckwing.

I have a couple of Blue Breasted Red roos that came out of the same pen. He was the only one with gold leakage instead of the red.

Lanae

Quote:
What you have is a colorful mix. It may turn out to be a pretty bird, but it is not a lemon blue. Lemon blue is a specific color and not just a mix of colors. It is the blue version of a brown-red. Enjoy your birds whatever color they are.

So a lemon blue is what we call a Blue brested Red in the araucana world correct. You still have the red but the black parts become blue?

I am looking for a color where the red parts become yellow and the black parts become blue. Hence the lemon part of the name. LOL! I have blue brested reds coming out of my ears.

The different names for the same colors is confusing. It would be nice if the name actually looked like the color.

I will post pics of my Blue Brested Reds and see if they are what you call lemon yellows. They may be too red.

Lanae

That makes sense. Crow wing or birchen not duckwing. I have a black roo that has gold hackles, saddle and shoulders. He is crow wing. If I breed him to blue hens will I get close?

Lanae

We are working on some new lemon-blue for the 2011 hatching year. We have a lemon-blue roo that is outstanding looking. I will post pics ASAP. We love working with the genetics and are hoping to come up with some chickens this year that will be show stoppers!
smile.png
Keep an eye out for some pics soon.

Don

Hi whnt do you think about my roo. I was told that he's a Lemon Blue Old Game Bantam, but he doesn't look at all of what I've seen on the web. He doesn't have any black.

88328_hens_006.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom