Lemon-Drop's Gardening Adventure

Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey there! I just started my own garden. I had a (not very pretty) raised garden bed. It consisted of a overgrown sage bush, a dead thyme plant, some other dead herbs I couldn't even begin to identify, and many, many weeds, plus lots of trash. It's not very large, as it is 9' by 9' square, meaning 81sqft total.

I decided to build a nice garden.

First, I pulled up all the weeds, herbs, and plants (I also made sure to dig up some dirt so there would be room for more on top)

I went to Lowes and bought 3 (1 cubic foot) bags of a manure mix, and 2 strawberry plants, 1 broccoli plant, basil, and kale. I didn't realize how big of a project this would be.

I also went to my local feed store and bought a bale of hay, mealworms, and a new feeder (the mealworms and feeder were for the chickens, not the garden :) )

By the time I arrived home, it was fairly late. I planned to do it on Monday, as the next day was Sunday, and also Easter.

On Monday morning, I laid down cardboard, and put a thick (2-3 inch) layer of straw on top of the cardboard. (I didn't use the whole bale, I will probably use the rest of straw for bedding for my chickens, even though I usually use pine shavings)

I then proceeded to pour the manure mix on top of the straw. I was sure 3 bags would be enough... how little did I know.

The manure mix, of course, was no where near enough. The 'finished' result with that amount appeared to be a pile of straw with a dusting of manure.

Of course, I decided that I needed more plants than the ones I had previously purchased.

At Lowes, there had not been a good variety, so instead I went to a bigger, plant based store.

I bought 2 (1.5 cubic feet bags) of planting soil. I was absolutely positive that would be enough :rolleyes::lau

I also bought many more plants.

6 shelling pea plants
1 Sugar Ann snap pea
2 big butter lettuce plants
Some amount of shallot bulbs... don't remember how many
6 more broccoli plants
2 more strawberry plants
6 leeks
1 garlic
1 lavender
1 cherry tomato plant
1 heirloom tomato plant
1 dill plant
some flowers
1 packet of pickling cucumber seeds
1 packet of rainbow carrot variety seeds
6 rose finn apple potato seeds
5 French fingerling potato seeds

So a lot more plants, and a few of those I didn't end up planting in the garden.

I also went to a hardware store and bought fencing stakes and wire poultry fencing.
The fencing was 4' by 25' (2 rolls) and the stakes were 5' tall.

I poured the soil mix I had bought, hoping it was enough. Nope. Not much different. I knew I needed much more dirt.

So I went back to Lowes and bought 6 more bags of 1 cubic foot manure mix. And 2 bags of a raised bed soil, that were 3 cubic feet each.

Finally, finally, that was enough dirt. I spread it in layers, doing 2 bags manure, 1 bag raised bed soil, and repeating until it was done.

The I planted the plants. I did not plant the strawberries, basil, or dill. The seeds I am going to plant later (more on that further through this)

I first laid all the plants out, then dug holes, buried, and completed the planting.

I also installed a wire mesh fence all around the garden. (Lots of deer and bunnies around here, not to mention hungry chickens who think a garden is the perfect place for dust bathing)

I double folded back a piece of the wire to use as an entrance, that can be just pulled back to go inside. It is secured with two bungee cords.

Then I gave each of the plants a nice water.

By then I was very tired. All of that was done in one day, Monday. I called it a night.

The next day, Tuesday was a bit more relaxed. I planted a few cucumber seeds indoors, in these pots I found called 'Cow Pots' that I can plant directly into the ground when ready. (My phone is taking a time lapse of them sprouting, so there won't be any pictures.

I cut up the potatoes seeds after letting them sprout. They are now drying, and I will plant them tomorrow in potato bags.

The carrots I plan to plant directly into the ground when it's a bit warmer.

Sadly, I forgot to check the forecast, and the tomatoes look a bit wilted. There was a slight frost, so I feel bad. Hopefully they will be ok. :hmm

Thanks for reading this! I plant to update every now and then, especially for harvests and, say, when I plant the potato seeds, the cucumbers sprout, or something like that.

I really hope this garden turns out. I'm really very new at gardening, so if you have any helpful tips, feel free to comment!

:wee

Wow, and I thought chicken math was a challenge! Do keep us posted and share pictures! :)
Thanks! I'll try and post pictures once my phone is done with the time-lapse for the cucumbers, probably at least another 5 days or so. I also struggle with chicken math... now I think in my near future I want ducks, and 20 or so chickens...

That's a lot of work for one day! Keeping raised beds full of soil can be a challenge. Are there any mushroom farms near you? They give away free compost.
Hmmm. Not sure if there are any mushroom farms... would have saved me some money though. I'll look into that next time I need compost.

Can you make a sketch of what you planted where?
:pop Following along...
Ok, I made a quick "sketch"

It was just on a digital art app. It's not very accurate, but as close as I could get it (Obviously the tomato plants aren't just a tomato sitting there, same with the flower (which I think I forgot to add in my first post)
Screenshot (329).png

@Lemon-Drop, may I make a suggestion? Don't plant leeks, shallots, and garlic near peas (or beans). They don't grow well next to each other. Swap your locations for broccoli and leeks; same with the greens (lettuce/kale) and the garlic and shallots.

Look up "companion planting." A really good book on it is "Carrots Love Tomatoes."

Having the peas at the side is a great idea. Provide a fence or trellis for them to climb and they will take up more vertical space, leaving more ground area. I plant mine right up against the fence and they take hardly any space at all.

@Lemon-Drop, may I make a suggestion? Don't plant leeks, shallots, and garlic near peas (or beans). They don't grow well next to each other. Swap your locations for broccoli and leeks; same with the greens (lettuce/kale) and the garlic and shallots.

Look up "companion planting." A really good book on it is "Carrots Love Tomatoes."

Having the peas at the side is a great idea. Provide a fence or trellis for them to climb and they will take up more vertical space, leaving more ground area. I plant mine right up against the fence and they take hardly any space at all.
Wow! Ok! Thank you, I did not know that. I think that I am planning to move the leeks, as the garden is fairly deep, but not very deep. I'm planning to make a smaller bed for the leeks and carrots. (Hoping those will grow well together?) I will swap the broccoli for garlic and shallots.

I put a fence of chicken wire up around the garden, so they will be able to climb up that.
My last garden didn't thrive well because our chickens (who we let free range) love gardens as dust bathing spots, and eat the plants. Same with the deer and rabbits we have around here.

Again, thanks for your advice! I will move those plants asap.

Back
Top Bottom