Lesion around POL's eye

gillf86

Hatching
Jan 4, 2018
Wondering if anyone else had had a hen with this kind of skin lesion? The grey bald area had been present for a few months - doesnt seem to be bothering her but has been traumatised by another hen or possibly her a couple of times in last month or so. It now intermittently bleeds then scabs over. Been treated twice with topical ivermectin. Thinking might be ringworm? Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20180104_213930.jpg
    20180104_213930.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 8
Welcome to BYC. It looks suspicious for being a possible tumor, but I’m not a vet. The little piece of skin just under the eye where she was pecked or injured looks like tissue. Chickens can get all sorts of cysts or tumors. If you have a wire dog crate and it will fit inside your coop, I would place her in there with food and water where she still can be part of the flock. You can even place a little roost just off the floor for her. Let us know if it gets bigger or changes. Some plain neosporin on the wound would help.

I agree with Eggcessive. Separate her to prevent further pecking. Apply neosporin until healed. Provide her food and water while she's caged and dont forget to clean the cage. Stop the ivermectin also. Ringworm is a fungus. It's possible for chickens to have ringworm, but rare.

Welcome to BYC. It looks suspicious for being a possible tumor, but I’m not a vet. The little piece of skin just under the eye where she was pecked or injured looks like tissue. Chickens can get all sorts of cysts or tumors. If you have a wire dog crate and it will fit inside your coop, I would place her in there with food and water where she still can be part of the flock. You can even place a little roost just off the floor for her. Let us know if it gets bigger or changes. Some plain neosporin on the wound would help.

Thanks for that! It's quite soft and doesn't feel like a tumour but couldn't rule it out. She is still very bright and eating well. Dried up a bit and can see her lower eyelid has been torn. Will try with the ointment and see how i get on! Putting her in crate in pen and lettibg her out when i'm about to check she isn't getting bullied! Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom