Lessons learned in my battle with mites

Another insecticide to add to your rotation is SPINOSAD.  This is an FDA approved insecticide and it is not chemically related to the other insecticides so there is lower risk of resistance.  When I came across this type of insecticide, I was surprised that there was not more information on it so I started a thread:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-mite-infestation-that-works/10#post_14170194  

Certain forms of the insecticide are actually approved for organic gardening, but the active ingredient has been used in the poultry industry in nonorganic form.

I also think that powdered sulfur as a preventative in dust bath is a good idea, but it wont treat an infestation.
thank you Scratch'n'peck. My experience with Spinosad leads me to believe it is one of the best kept secrets of the pesticide world. I am definitely going to check out your thread on it. For the benefit of this thread, though, here is what I know about it. Last year when my dogs developed overwhelming flea infestations, I found the vet prescribed product Comfortis; it is an "organic" systemic insecticide that is administered X1 per month, with food, in a pill form. It starts killing fleas within minutes of administration and is effective for one month. It is VERY effective (within an hour, both my dogs were flealess, and for 30days thereafter, they were walking, barking lethal fleabait) AND very expensive (IMO). Comfortis is a pill form of Spinosad, and it is administered according to weight-specific (and published) dosages. My dogs tolerated it well. And so did the chicks I was growing out. You see, I was raising some chicks in my flea infested house, and I did not wish to put them down in the coop if they had fleas; I bought some Spinosad concentrate, made the appropriate dilution, and added it to an amount of feed I was sur e the chicks would consume in a short time. They ate it all and showed absolutely no ill effects (they were several weeks old). So, I was pretty sure when I put them down in the coop, they didn't have fleas, but more than that, I knew that chickens tolerated Spinosad at the recommended dosages published for dogs.

OK, so if you Googled Spinosad, you would find that it is a not so well known organic insecticide that kills, among other insects on plants, red mites, perhaps both topically and when ingested. This is not to say that it will systemically kill chicken mites, but rather that it is an organic MITICIDE for topical application to certain crop plants. I don't have (yet) any obvious mite infestations in my chickens, and I have no experience in using Spinosad for them. I can say only that the concentrated form I used (11.6% in propylene glycol), when diluted to the strength used for fleas in dogs, was safe and well tolerated by my chicks. If I had valuable roosters - and I do - and they had heavy mite infestations, I would not hesitate to isolate them and offer them a meal appropriately spiked with Spinosad.

This is an off label use for Spinosad; it is important to research this product and know that the "inactive ingredients" in the various formulations may or may not be harmful to chickens, and it is important to be able to ensure proper dosages (You need to know your animals' weights); Spinosad's efficacy as a miticide for mites in chickens has not ever been confirmed as far as I know. It can be expensive.

As an aside regarding mites: I recently was bequeathed a box turtle suffering from mites; she hadn't eaten in months and was quite moribund, it seemed; I soaked her in warm water baths containing DE and wiped her down and sprayed her with benzalkonium chloride; we dusted her enclosure and substrate with DE and sprayed it with the BZK. Her mites disappeared, she started eating, and she became lively with no relapses. I think the benzalkonium (Zephiran) helped the most. I would not hesitate to spray it on mite infested rooster legs (it's the "alcohol free" hand sanitizer).

Hope all this was not too hard to read and that it helps. Laurie in BERTHOUD

Spinosad's efficacy as a miticide for mites in chickens has not ever been confirmed as far as I know.
The Elanco company did research on spinosad's efficacy as a miticide on poultry. Their website and a link to their information on it's use with chickens is at this link:

http://www.elanco.us/products-services/poultry/controlling-houseflies-darkling-beetles.aspx

http://www.elanco.us/pdfs/USPBELS00010_Elector-PSP_Northern_Fowl_Mite.pdf

You can call the company, as I did, and confirm the product safety, used as labeled, which is as a topical treatment. I don't know why anyone would use an off label treatment, (oral dosage) when it works just fine used as labeled.

A note regarding the label ... this is the new label:

http://www.elanco.us/labels/Dairy/Elector_PSP.pdf

For some reason, Valley Vet (the least expensive retailer) and other retailers are displaying the old label. The old label was used prior to the research done on chickens. So, the old label lists it as a premise spray and not for use on chickens. The retailers don't even realize that their labels are out of date, so they don't recommend the product for topical use on chickens.
This is why I took the time to call Elanco and discuss the product's safety when used on chickens. It is even safe for breeding birds. There were no ill effects in their trials when used as a topical spray.

The Elanco company did research on spinosad's efficacy as a miticide on poultry. Their website and a link to their information on it's use with chickens is at this link:

http://www.elanco.us/products-services/poultry/controlling-houseflies-darkling-beetles.aspx

http://www.elanco.us/pdfs/USPBELS00010_Elector-PSP_Northern_Fowl_Mite.pdf
Thanks for posting that info. I see from your signature that you have a lot of livestock, so you will definitely get your moneys worth out of Elector PSP even though it is pricey.

For any one who has a small flock, they my want to try the Captain Jack's concentrate with Spinosad active ingredient for around $17: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VJBYMC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@SIMZ are you keeping up with the tread you started after so very many people posted? LOL

p.s. I just did a search and found the Captain Jack's concentrate for $ 15.50 and it looks like it has free standard shipping: http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.c...-concentrate?gclid=CPOmhpLFoMMCFQ4S7AodUVMA4w

Last edited:
@scratch'n'peck You better believe it! LOL I am getting great tips from you guys that I've not read anywhere else. BYC is the BEST!

@scratch'n'peck You better believe it! LOL I am getting great tips from you guys that I've not read anywhere else. BYC is the BEST!
I have to 2nd your comment. I ve done a lot of research on this subject and this is the best thread i've come across. Thanks to all for the great info!

Hi Chicken Obsessed,

I have found that keeping Guinea fowl with the chickens helps!
I don't have any mites on my layer flock, but I developed a problem with them on the 'spare roosters' as I call them, housed in a separate coop in my horse barn. {The short version of the story is that I lose Roos frequently to coyotes so I keep spares each year.} Anyway, last year a friend gave me some Guinea eggs and I ended up with three of them, housed them along with these mite problematic roosters and discovered they preen the roos, eating up all the mites in the process. The roos need to be kept tame, so I handle them each daily. This gives me a chance to inspect them for critters.
Don't expect Guineas to be great and friendly pets like your chickens, though! I have treated them with as much love and attention as my Chanty flock and they are still silly and fearful of me. When a stranger comes into the barn, or a new truck drives up in summer...wow loud and cranky!! Good watch-birds. Sadly, though, I still lose them to predators as they don't always come in when called like my chickens and roosters do.

Good luck!
frow.gif

kathy

I have not made an attempt to catch the fur ball, but I will work on that solution as time permits. I had some chicken treats in a plastic container 2x3 " solid box (not Styrofoam) and it was on the ground next to the coop, opened with several teeth puncture marks on the lid and under surface. Evidently the cat managed to pop the lid and get to the treats and ran off. I think I will find a treat that will make the cat ill discourage it from coming back again. What ever will work, I must research that possibility.

RE: Guinea Hens, excellent scavengers and bug eaters. I too lost my hens to predators this past year and that was very sad. Aside from the Roosters being noisy, the Guinea Hens were the noisiest birds I ever heard with the exception of Peacocks.

The birds were fast, ran in one group, and how they managed to be decimated was mind boggling.

Here's what I did and it worked for me I haven't had mites in a year,first I cleaned the coop sprayed a mix of pure orange oil and water in the nest boxes and on the Roost's then sprayed the chickens and roosters with permethrin under wings on neck,legs and vent area. Then what I did and do daily is mix cayenne pepper in with there food and snack's which has raisins in it so the pepper sticks too them,and I also use ACV in there water with the mother in it every time I put new water in the coop. I have over 40 chickens and sell and eat the eggs so I will not put any chemical's in them and cannot dip them in anything toxic,I had a pretty bad infestation last winter and actually had a worm problem also and it took care of both. It did take a couple weeks but haven't had a problem or lost a bird,I also breed and hatched 100's of chicks and start giving them the pepper at 8weeks so far so good.

Hi wantedman.... Can you explain how you applied the permethrin to your birds ? Did you bathe them in it ? Spray it on ? I have a mite issue and I'm looking at using permethrin but want to know the proper way to apply it so it's effective in eradicating the mites. Thanks !

Hi wantedman.... Can you explain how you applied the permethrin to your birds ? Did you bathe them in it ? Spray it on ? I have a mite issue and I'm looking at using permethrin but want to know the proper way to apply it so it's effective in eradicating the mites. Thanks !

Hi I mixed it with water I don't remember exact amount but it tells you on the bottle. I sprayed it on them lightly on there entire body except the head then lifted there wings and sprayed that area,some of the spots around neck and shoulders I worked in with my hands. But too be honest only did it that one time,my personal belief is the ceyen pepper is the stuff that really is what's working.

Back
Top Bottom