Let me see that mix!

Here are my mixes. I’m new to hatching, and am finding myself blown away by the looks on these babies.

First up is Charcoal my rooster. I may be partial, but I think he’s stunning! His dad is a red Orpington and mom is a Rhode Island blue or blue rock. I have 3 chicks of his coming up, but unfortunately it looks like 2/3 are boys 😔.
IMG_9144.jpeg
IMG_9074.jpeg

Charcoals 1/2 sister is Ash. Same red Orpington roo but mom is Willow, the lavender Orpington pictured with her. She is 99% fluff.
IMG_9119.jpeg
IMG_8493.jpeg

My last BYM is Brandy, and she is also Charcoal & Ash’s half sister. Same red Orpington dad but mom is speckled Sussex. Brandy is only 3.5 months, but is also growing in all the fluff. I have a RIR & Australorp the same age and they look skinny next to her even though they weigh more, lol. IMG_9342.jpeg
and because I can’t stop posting pics of my chickens, here are 2 of my upncomers. This first dude is Citronella. He’s from Charcoal over a blue rock or Rhode Island blue hen. I’m excited to see what he looks like, but won’t be able to keep him.
IMG_9377.jpeg
This is Stevie Nicks. She’s also from Charcoal and her mom is a silver laced Wyandotte. Her color really interests me. It’s hard to tell in this photo, but her beak and rose comb are black. IMG_9008.jpeg
I don’t have any pics of my 3rd chick, a cockerel named Kissy Face, but he’s just solid black with a hint of white partial lacing on his chest. His momma is also my lavender Orpington so he’ll be like 3/4 sibling with Ash. I’m going to attempt to manage to keep him as a 3rd rooster, but I don’t know if we’ll be able to manage that many. 🙄 Why are our favorite chicks always cockerels?

Here are my mixes. I’m new to hatching, and am finding myself blown away by the looks on these babies.

First up is Charcoal my rooster. I may be partial, but I think he’s stunning! His dad is a red Orpington and mom is a Rhode Island blue or blue rock. I have 3 chicks of his coming up, but unfortunately it looks like 2/3 are boys 😔.
View attachment 3559821
View attachment 3559823

Charcoals 1/2 sister is Ash. Same red Orpington roo but mom is Willow, the lavender Orpington pictured with her. She is 99% fluff.
View attachment 3559822
View attachment 3559830

My last BYM is Brandy, and she is also Charcoal & Ash’s half sister. Same red Orpington dad but mom is speckled Sussex. Brandy is only 3.5 months, but is also growing in all the fluff. I have a RIR & Australorp the same age and they look skinny next to her even though they weigh more, lol.View attachment 3559820
and because I can’t stop posting pics of my chickens, here are 2 of my upncomers. This first dude is Citronella. He’s from Charcoal over a blue rock or Rhode Island blue hen. I’m excited to see what he looks like, but won’t be able to keep him.
View attachment 3559836
This is Stevie Nicks. She’s also from Charcoal and her mom is a silver laced Wyandotte. Her color really interests me. It’s hard to tell in this photo, but her beak and rose comb are black.View attachment 3559837
I don’t have any pics of my 3rd chick, a cockerel named Kissy Face, but he’s just solid black with a hint of white partial lacing on his chest. His momma is also my lavender Orpington so he’ll be like 3/4 sibling with Ash. I’m going to attempt to manage to keep him as a 3rd rooster, but I don’t know if we’ll be able to manage that many. 🙄 Why are our favorite chicks always cockerels?
Love these. The roosters always come out incredible. You can best a BYM rooster.

Why thank you! Yes, Napoleon and Ursula (the silkied pullet) were and are silkie mixes. Cruella, we have no idea
I want get a silkie for so many reasons, but I wear the fact that I have never had one as a badge of honor! They are so designer.

However, in this case - I believe you have harnessed the good qualities 🤣

I want get a silkie for so many reasons, but I wear the fact that I have never had one as a badge of honor! They are so designer.

However, in this case - I believe you have harnessed the good qualities 🤣

After getting silkies I've become very anti-silkie. My three pure birds I bought earlier this year all died within a week. And Napoleon, although healthy at first quite literally was fine one moment and gone the next. So yeah, I'd say if you want silkies get silkie back crosses, or just view photos off the Internet😅

After getting silkies I've become very anti-silkie. My three pure birds I bought earlier this year all died within a week. And Napoleon, although healthy at first quite literally was fine one moment and gone the next. So yeah, I'd say if you want silkies get silkie back crosses, or just view photos off the Internet😅
The reason why I want some, mainly - is because they seem to go broody quite often, and do a really good job of hatching chicks. Everytime i see a post here about putting eggs under a broody hen, i click and it's a silkie.

Granted, we have a lot of hens go broody a few generations away from a hatchery, but they quit more often than I'd like.

Back
Top Bottom