Let my girls inside today...

SuzClaytor

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2015
Bulls Gap, TN
Just cuz...") They have a certain time of day where they hunker around our front door. Today was very cold so I let them in by the woodstove for about 20min. They seemed to enjoy it, though my hubby was dubious!

I'm no expert on cold weather, but do you not think the shock of returning to the cold after being in your house may be detrimental? If temperatures are an issue (remember that chickens are very cold hardy) then some kind of warmth outside your home may be more appropriate. Reading info here on BYC it appears that adult chickens do not need additional warmth to be fine - just what i've read, not what i have experience with.

Here's a live thread that you may find useful

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081433/anxious-newbie#post_16543598

All the best
CT

Last edited:
Your chickens don't need to be let into your house even on very cold days as long as they are a cold hardy breed and they have a draft free, dry, and well ventilated (so that moisture does not build up inside) coop to go into. Feathers are wonderful insulators and moisture is a much greater danger than cold.

I'm with Michael on this.

I know with the best intentions we don't want our chickens getting
cold. But to come inside and then go back out...it's really not the
best ideal. Can be hard on them.

That's why a good coop is SO important. Pretty coops are nice.
But good solid coops are better. Warm, draft free. Vented. Main thing
is dry. Chicken is pretty hardy with just a little help,

Draft can't be stressed enough. No draft in coop. Control the air.
(I have windows to open / close.)

Insulated the walls when I built it just because I wanted to. Knowing
that I wasn't adding a heat source.

I like the deep litter method, but the water is heated and on a board so
any excess spill drains away. Again, wood floor insulated.

A good coop is more than just a pretty wooden box.

Oh relax folks :) I just let them walk in for a few moments then back out. They are quite cold hearty and have a wonderfully, snug coop. I didn't mean my post to sound as if I had actually moved them in. Just brought them in for a tiny bit of treats and "Mama" time out of the sleet! Thank you for the information though. I do worry about them in this extreme cold.

Oh relax folks :) I just let them walk in for a few moments then back out. They are quite cold hearty and have a wonderfully, snug coop. I didn't mean my post to sound as if I had actually moved them in. Just brought them in for a tiny bit of treats and "Mama" time out of the sleet! Thank you for the information though. I do worry about them in this extreme cold.

You're welcome.

I also do the deep litter method. At first I was cleaning my coop every other day. Now I deep litter but make sure the poop board is cleaned and I spot clean the top of the litter a bit before adding more. The coop has never had an odor so I feel I'm doing something right. I have vented windows which I close during the cold but do have high hardware cloth vents at the top of the coop, out of the wind. I worry about my feathery footed cochin banties when they get wet from the snow, but try to dry them a bit before putting them up for the night.

Regardless of weather, I think some chickens really enjoy a little inside time. Sometimes just to snoop and see how the humans live. There was a BYCER that had outdoor coop/run but, some of her hens were spoiled and expected to come in and sleep in their crate/bed, whatever. Others would want to come in and only lay their eggs inside, and then want out again. It was really comical.

Back
Top Bottom