Let there be light!!!! Help on coop lighting......

redrstr29

Songster
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
OK I've googled/searched, I need/want to add lighting in my chicken coop to supplement for the shorter days, I have a solar light out there which is pretty strong, When do I add the light, In the morning ... or in the evening after they have been cooped up ? And let the light die by its self after 2 or 3 hours..... Its dusk at about 645 now in Connecticut?? Any advice would be appreciated.. THANK YOU

Aldo

OK I've googled/searched, I need/want to add lighting in my chicken coop to supplement for the shorter days, I have a solar light out there which is pretty strong, When do I add the light, In the morning ... or in the evening after they have been cooped up ? And let the light die by its self after 2 or 3 hours..... Its dusk at about 645 now in Connecticut?? Any advice would be appreciated.. THANK YOU

Aldo
Hello my friend
How oid is your flock

I prefer the Am. I get the girls up about 4:30 and just let them go to bed with the sun. Chickens don't see well enough to roost up if the light suddenly goes out and besides that it always takes a while for them to figure out who's sleeping where. Some people say they need 14 hours of light to keep laying but I find they can get by with a little less. 12 -13 hours seems to work out just fine, they may slow down a little but as a rule they won't stop laying. By Christmas I'll be getting them up a little earlier since it gets dark here about 5 and then change back to 4:30 in early Feb.

I prefer the Am. I get the girls up about 4:30 and just let them go to bed with the sun. Chickens don't see well enough to roost up if the light suddenly goes out and besides that it always takes a while for them to figure out who's sleeping where. Some people say they need 14 hours of light to keep laying but I find they can get by with a little less. 12 -13 hours seems to work out just fine, they may slow down a little but as a rule they won't stop laying. By Christmas I'll be getting them up a little earlier since it gets dark here about 5 and then change back to 4:30 in early Feb.

Oh boy , im usually up by 5, i have to manually turn it on :( ok.... I never really had a problem b/c I always had pullets* to about 1 11/2 years then to freezer camo, They NEVER stopped laying even in winter, Id get 10 or 9 eggs a day out of 12 hens, NOW a guy was clearing out his farm and I bought 1 yr old Comets ( 17 of them) some are moulting... some not and I only get about 8 eggs a day, I ve had them for a week.... im guessing some lay on alternating days which is fine.... But i'd like to maxamize what I can

Thank you so much!!

Currently your dealing with both the stress of moving and that they are in molt. I don't believe lighting aids in getting through a molt faster (it can't hurt) but many swear by added protein in their diet to speed up the molt time. Bumping up to 20% protein feed or adding animal protein to treats to up that way. From meal worms to a not making soup out of the turkey carcass and tossing it into the run.

Currently your dealing with both the stress of moving and that they are in molt. I don't believe lighting aids in getting through a molt faster (it can't hurt) but many swear by added protein in their diet to speed up the molt time. Bumping up to 20% protein feed or adding animal protein to treats to up that way. From meal worms to a not making soup out of the turkey carcass and tossing it into the run.

I know right, double whammy, Perhaps they are mentally stressed, theyre acting like they have lived here all their lives, The guy had about 500 birds and said these were pretty much wild lol but since im off work right now and bored I been down there feeding ALOT and my family owns a bakery so i give them alot of left over bread, and stuff, and I already give them 20% food any way since I messed up buying the bag, I also have oyster shell mixed in lol, But 5 are def mid molt, but @ of them are still laying, I think due to their age perhaps theyh are switching days on and off, but im hoping some extra light will bring me up to atleast 10 a day out of 17 lol!!! I mean its not a big deal, but it kind of is, I don't sell them ...yet.... BUT I have in the past....
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom