Lethargic Baby Red Sex Link/Golden Comet

Nicci0110

Songster
Mar 15, 2023
Senatobia, MS
Hi everyone. I am new to chickens. I have successfully raised and placed my 10 week old Rhode Island Reds in their coop. These were hatched by a friend and given to me for free. They are healthy and thriving. After doing so, I bought 7 more various breeds from a local man in Hernando MS. They were supposed to all be female. I noticed over the weekend my Buff Orpington had a Rooster stance and the same eye my other Rooster always seemed to give me. I also found my Red Ex Link to be a boy. The man agreed to let me swap them out. I went and only swapped the Red Sex Link for a female (red head) and kept the Orpington. I also walked away with an Easter Egger. He was the last one left of his breed. Needless to say all of these chicks have had stinky poop since day one. One of the orpingtons smells so bad and is runny and brown. It is EVRY poop that smells this way so it is not cecal poop. It almost smells like puke. But he is happy, spunky and healthy. The new Red Sex Link though is lethargic and really will not eat. I have had everyone on Medicated feed since I brought them home. But I separated this Red Sex Link because her poop was white last nite and watery, then MAYBE bloody, and today pellets. I have provided and forces her to drink HydraHen. She is well enough that she flew out of her box today but just stands there. She does seem lonely but I am worried she is sick and I do not want her getting the others sick. How will I know it is ok to move her back in with them? She was in with them for about 20 minutes and obviously with them when the seller had them so is it safe to say if the others could catch whatever she has, they already would have? She clearly is tired of being alone. She has no problem standing and flying. She has bright open eyes 60% of the time. The rest she is either closing them or half closing them. This is Rosie :) Thank you for any help you may give!

Attachments

• Rosie.jpg
    Rosie.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Fecal Photos.jpg
    Fecal Photos.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 2
In the photo it looks like intestinal shedding, but the Corid won't hurt them.

Treat all the chicks.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

In the photo it looks like intestinal shedding, but the Corid won't hurt them.

Treat all the chicks.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
Is intestinal shedding normal or bad? This one has perked up a lot. I am doing Corid on all of them but I have one that has the most awful smelling poop I have ever smelled. He seems very healthy and it has stunk and continues to stink even now. It smells like puke. I can always tell what poop is his/hers. That one is a buff orpington.

Intestinal shedding can be normal if you see it once in a while, but for chicks, it's probably best to just treat with the Corid.

Not sure what's going on with the one chick. Sometimes higher protein feed can make the stink factor greater, but if it's only the one, the likely that's not it.

Photos of the stinky mess?
Check to make sure his crop is emptying overnight. Any sour or rancid smell on his breath, about his head, etc. or any lesions/yellow or white pasty material inside his beak?

He looks and smells perfectly healthy other than his poop. I will get some pics tonight but his poop is orange brown and similar to a PeanutButter consistency. Gross sorry. He is one of my most active chicks. But when I hold him and he poops on me it will almost gag me. The others do not bother me but it is AWFUL. I do not have a week stomach at all either.

Back
Top Bottom