Lethargic, can't jump up on perch, but eats and lays eggs, not a cold

frontyardcoop

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2015
Altadena CA
I have a lethargic hen who is afraid of the other hens, cannot jump up on the perch. Her crest and wattles are a bit pale. I let her loose in the non-chicken yard and she was a bit shy sticking to the shadows, normally the hens go NUTS in the grassy "people" yard. She spends most of the day sitting, but she does eat and drink. I brought out the meal worms and she gobbled them up. She does not have a cold. She laid a perfectly fine egg today. She isn't limping or walking funny. What could cause a hen to behave this way?

Give electrolyte in her water for some boosts.
Qurentien her!!!!!
Has she pooped if so what does it look like how old is she and wat are you feeding and how losing have you had her?

Poop looks ok. She is 2 years old and I have had her since she was 10 days old. She eats Hearty Hen Soy Free Layer pellets. She is being kept in the people yard away from the other girls.

Good give electrolytes and I would also give her more meal worms to get so more protein she should be fine I would give her some time alone and then put her back in she should be fine if it was a HUGE problem she would had quit laying.

I took her to the vet, he sees chickens for free, he only charges if he treats them. He didn't know what could be the problem. He saw a poop photo and said she doesn't have worms. I think that she was kept away from food and water due to the new henhouse dynamic. She is suddenly the bottom hen and the former bottom hen is number 2 or 3 of 5. The upstart is being excessively mean to her. That combined with the intense heat has made her weak. Since she has been in the people yard a few days she has improved. I put her back in and she was viciously attacked again, every time she went down stairs into the run she was attacked (I popped out every 15 minutes or looked out the back window to see what was happening). Do you think she would be better off in the hen house with "friends" or alone with food and water? I feel a bit bad for her being all alone. She went into her make-shift solo hen house by herself tonight. :(

Back
Top Bottom