Lethargic chicken, unresponsive

joebwe25

Songster
12 Years
Feb 1, 2007
St. Louis, Mo.
I found one of my 2 year old chickens (EE) lying on the ground tonight when going to put them away.. she is very lethargic, poor head tracking and can't stand.. We gave her water (with a Syringe) and she swallowed 2 of the 3 times. Her body temperature is cold, she'll open her eyes and move her head occasionally.

Aside from that, she shows no obvious signs of being sick! Vent clear, eyes clear, no injuries, throat pink, comb pink.

Any ideas as to what could be the problem? She is still alive as of right now.. not sure how long she'll make it.. but we would like to know what could be the matter!

Thanks

I found one of my 2 year old chickens (EE) lying on the ground tonight when going to put them away.. she is very lethargic, poor head tracking and can't stand.. We gave her water (with a Syringe) and she swallowed 2 of the 3 times. Her body temperature is cold, she'll open her eyes and move her head occasionally.

Aside from that, she shows no obvious signs of being sick! Vent clear, eyes clear, no injuries, throat pink, comb pink.

Any ideas as to what could be the problem? She is still alive as of right now.. not sure how long she'll make it.. but we would like to know what could be the matter!

Thanks
It sounds almost like heat exhaustion. All the same check her crop and vent for anything out of the ordinary. Electrolytes are easy to put together and could help you out here. Follow the link below.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-heat-stress-dehydration-and.html

We are sorry to say that she died in the middle of the night.

To answer your question(s), we have never dewormed, however her poop was fine, vent was clear, crop was not hard. We gave her electrolyte water through a syringe right after we found her, and she had access to clean water all day.

She was perfectly fine yesterday morning and throughout the day when we let her out! It was seemingly very sudden that she was ill, and then died.

We are sorry to say that she died in the middle of the night.

To answer your question(s), we have never dewormed, however her poop was fine, vent was clear, crop was not hard. We gave her electrolyte water through a syringe right after we found her, and she had access to clean water all day.

She was perfectly fine yesterday morning and throughout the day when we let her out! It was seemingly very sudden that she was ill, and then died.
Sorry for your loss, RIP little chicken
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom