Lethargic Chicken with lots wrong

Birdie2019

Songster
May 12, 2020
Florida
I have a Millie Fluer Cochin Bantam hen that we hatched here in July (I think). Yesterday I noticed she was acting off and she worried me. Wasn’t eating much, and wings were droopy. Today a couple of hours ago, I noticed that she was going downhill. She’s lethargic, droopy wings, weak, sick penguin stance, watery poop, poopy butt, and no sign of lice or mites. I had looked and found a few eggs under some feathers under her wing. I took her in and put her on a paper towel, of which I found some little lice or mites on. We’ve had issues with lice before, as we live in Florida and our yard is sand. I will treat her with lice/mites but I don’t want to make it worse. It’s a spray bottle with liquid in it. I don’t want her to go into shock (so lethargic). I don’t know where to start. My favorite hen, don’t want to lose her. We gave her an egg for her to drink (raw) and some Gatorade (due to using up all the electrolytes earlier). Where to start and what to do?
8CE6CC74-760A-4FAA-B269-042F449AE5AD.jpeg
last night she looked like this
2687A8E5-64BA-4C20-9AFC-B94483E0841D.jpeg This morning she looked like this
1363100F-1F68-4270-AC61-D9A114FA16E1.jpeg

lice/mites. Small lice? White eggs it came from, I assume

may I add her sister started laying, but she has not. Maybe internal issues too like parasites??
She’s also very skinny and light. Skinny where it would be bloated if she was laying. Can feel the bone real clear

When you treat them are you also treating the coop? If not then those bugs are just sucking the life out of them and have been before you even noticed them. You need to empty the coop completely and spray in every crevice. I would apply poultry dust on the birds and Permethrin 10% spray on the coop

Those look more like mites, but permethrin 10 spray concentrate mixed with water will kill either lice or mites. Treat every 7 days, and treat the coop after removing all bedding. Offer a couple of drops of Poultry NutriDrench and some wet chicken feed mixed with water, scrambled bits of egg or tuna, or canned cat food to tempt her to eat. Offer those up to her beak in a lid or small scoop. The PND contains a small amount of iron which may help treat anemia caused by mites. Is her lower belly enlarged or bluish? Is her crop empty or full, hard or mushy?

When you treat them are you also treating the coop? If not then those bugs are just sucking the life out of them and have been before you even noticed them. You need to empty the coop completely and spray in every crevice. I would apply poultry dust on the birds and Permethrin 10% spray on the coop
I have done that. Months ago. It was before she got out of the brooder. We used Permethrin and it worked great though. Did not use poultry dust

She is drinking great. I got her caged up and in my room. It is bird-protected from anything that could harm her, as I have a pet bird in my room. She perked up some when I first put her in there. She’s drinking fine, but still lethargic. I will get her some wet layer feed in a bit. The only feed we have currently since everyone is laying.
May I add she lives with her father and sister, but they free range in the afternoons.
Is it enough that I can spray her without her going into shock? Her eyes are still closed some, but she’s more active than she was.

Edit: She’s eating. Got her some wet feed. Perked up a little. Soon as she saw it she gobbled it up. Making sure she doesn’t choke from it.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom