Lethargic chickens, and now dead! Help!

I can understand being short on money... been there, still there! If you have a sprayer, you can spray your coop with bleach water and that will kill the mites. You'll need to get it in every nook and cranny. This should hold you over til you get the sevin dust.
The sevin dust is more persistant than bleach water. (Dont use it on the chickens though lol)

ok, I was talking to a friend of mine earlier and they set me up with Lumino Diatomaceous Earth for Poultry and then some Permethrin Prozap poultry dust. I then stopped at my moms and picked up the de-wormer to put in thier water.

What im going to do, since I plan on building a new coop soon im just going to go ahead and put them in that shed for now, dust the ENTIRE thing with the diatomaceous earth (this is what they said to do at the Animal Food Where house) and also use 1 lb per hundred birds ( I only have 12 birds now so I wil only use 1/10 of a lb) and to treat directly around the vent but not in the vent.

As for the wormer, im not sure yet. It doesnt have directions for poultry so im going to do some more research on that before I use it. But for now Im about to go put down fresh straw in the Shed and dust it with the diatomaceous earth and then dust it with the other stuff and apply it to the birds like the direction says.

As for the coop Im thinking that since I plan on building a new one that I may just call the local fire department and see if they want it for a controlled burn maybe, if they haul it off.

So atm this is where im sitting.

Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is not a wormer. It is used to keep grains and other things dry. When it gets wet, it is useless til it dries out. The insides of chickens are wet, therefore it is ineffective against worms. It may or may not be a preventative against lice or mites. You have an infestation and I doubt DE will kill them all. Use what you think is best. Good luck.

I wasnt using it as a wormer, I was told to use it to help get rid of the mites. O and The main thing to get rid of the mites I got was Permethrin Prozap Garden & Poultry Dust. Thats all they had for a bad mite problum.

Last edited:
Ok, I have dusted all the chickens especially around the vent. I then dusted the Temp coop with both the DE and The Poultry pesticide. I sure hope this works. In ten days I plan to do it all again just to make sure they are gone and in a few weeks I will be starting the new coop and run.

UPDATE: Well I just wanted to say thank you all for your imput. I dusted the chickens and their temporary coop and today I checked and I only grabbed 4 of them but the 4 I grabbed all appeared to be might free
big_smile.png
in 8 days I plan to dust them all again to get any eggs that may have hatched on them.

So far all 12 chickens appear to be doing much better.

Again thanks for all your imput and advise
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom