Lethargic, comb limp, UPDATE!! HOPEFULLY A BIT BETTER!

Look at:

www.verm-x.com Type it in just like this, include the dash

They have a toll free phone number, too 1-866-942-0042

Also try

www.randallburkey.com

Their other contact information is below:

Hours of Operation: Monday thru Friday 8am-5pm CST

Randall Burkey Co., Inc.
117 Industrial Dr.
Boerne, TX 78006

Email questions to: [email protected]

Phone toll free: 800-531-1097

had to edit to add a couple of things:

I realize you are not in the US but that's all I have knowledge of and it seems like a US supplier would be closest to you. The verm-x people are international but getting it from the US would be a lot closer for you. I don't know what your shipping/customs restriction are on wormers and such, maybe there aren't any. But verm-x is an all organic herbal product so it might be easier to get.

As far as actual brand names of wormers, Wormguard Plus is another one that you can probably get in Nova Scotia.

Hang in there! You've been a great chicken doctor so far.

Last edited:
It is a bit restricted to bring stuff across the border sometimes. I did find one that is canadian. it is fenbendazole (safegard) and is sold as dog wormer. Can I use this kind?
I think I have read that some people use this on their chickens.

oh nevermind.
here is what was on their website....
Unfortunately Canada Customs and Health Canada do not allow the personal importation of medication (for your pets or your personal use). Due to the fact that the medications listed on this website are dispensed from pharmacies outside of Canada (largely the UK), we are unable to accept orders for delivery into Canada. Currently only shipments to the United States are possible.

But if this safegard kind will work, I may be able to find it at a vet here.

I didn't read the whole post, but I was web surfing a week ago and I found a couple of natural ways for worms weather or not it works I don't know. But they said garlic and pumpkins are good for worms. I can't remember exactly what it said but maybe someone on here will know if it works or not. I never had a worm problem to try it out.

I hope everything works out for you!
fl.gif

hugs.gif

It's so tough that you can't find the meds you need in Canada. The fenbendazole you mentioned - i have read about others using that i think. I have no experience with it. Some people swear by cayenne pepper. The birds can't taste it, but the worms hate it - or so i've been told.
wink.png

Garlic and cayenne are great against worms and parasite but your eggs might pick up the garlic taste.

I'm sorry about the importing thing - I wondered if it would be a problem.

Where did you get your chickens? If you bought them from a feed store, you could ask them to recommend you a wormer.

I just have to believe that someone already in Canada has poultry wormers. There must even be other Canadian chicken keepers on the forum here that can help. What if you start a new thread in this section and call it "In Canada, where can I buy wormer for chickens"? Or something like that so you get their attention.

How about this place? I was just using Google and did "Canadian hatcheries"

Cox Brothers Poultry

Stacey Sherman

7520 Hwy 215, Stirling Brook, RR #1

Maitland, NS B0N 1T0

Tel 9022612823

Fax 9022612409

E-Mail [email protected]

I figure if they sell chickens they must be able to direct you to local supplies, medicines and things to keep chickens with.

Wow! Thanks for the suggestions and research!
I will try that, but meanwhile, I have had a bit of success. I found piperazine at of all places, a grocery store.
This is different than what a lot of people discuss on here.... piperazine/wazine 17? This is piperazine (as citrate) 140 mg per capsule. Dose for kitten 0.5 to 1.5 kg is 1 capsule. Dose for 2 to 3.5 kg is 2 capsules. Hennie is about 5 lb, so maybe I would give her 2 capsules? You put it on food, I likely would put it on a scrambled egg. What do you think? Please oh please, let me know the dose! Let me know this kind is ok!!!! I would like to treat her at 6 am!

I also have found a source for fendenzoble... sp? and even though the local vet said we dont "do" chickens, they would be willing to sell me some. So I am going to get some, I have read that wazine needs a second dose and then I can use the fendenzoble one.

I am not finding what the difference is between piperazine as citrate and the wazine 17/piperazine 17 so I don't know what to say.

Wazine 17 (not the citrate kind, as far as i can tell) is usually one ounce per gallon of water for a flock, large or small. I couldn't find anything on treating just one bird. Most people do treat all their chickens, not individuals. If you're going to treat Hennie for worms, I'd think you'd want to treat the other chickens as well. If she really does have worms, they probably all do so the ones that aren't wormed will give the worms right back her if she is the only one treated.

Also, wazine 17 kills round worms only, but not other worms. I think the other product you mentioned works on many different types of worms. So if it were me, I'd do two things; one, make sure Hennie is in very good health before giving her any worming products and two, I'd wait for that other wormer you're talking about that kills lots of different worms and avoid worming her twice in a short period of time.

No way to know what kind of worms they have, if any, without a fecal sample taken to someone for testing, probably expensive and probably have to find a poultry vet to do the testing.

I don't know about using the kitten doses on a chicken or how much you would give when mixing it with food.

Remember to throw out any eggs during the time you're worming them - don't eat the eggs, don't let anyone or anything eat the eggs - and I believe you have to throw them out for 14 days after you finish the worm treatment. We don't want you to have worms or worm treatment in you!!!

Last edited:
I have had to be away for the last 2 days because of work so my husband was in charge of hennie. He was able to get worm meds for me from our local vet.... He gave us panacur (same as fenbendazole, safe-guard)
It is a liquid and the directions were to administer orally 0.25 cc daily for 5 days. The percentage is not on the bottle.
From what I read, only a couple people treat their chickens for 5 days, most seem to do it once. I wonder why? I am going to start a separate post to figure that out.
Hennie is not very strong yet, but I decided to worm her anyway. This morning is the first dose. She has been down in the dumps for too long, living in isolation. I will cross my fingers. If she can't survive the worm medication, then she can't. Poor little Hennie.

Well, I too will keep my fingers crossed for Hennie. In a way, she seems kind of tough to have made it this long so I hope she can continue.

Yes, the worming is very confusing, each brand has different directions, different ingredients, different percentages. I just try to follow whatever directions are on the package, including whether to put it in food or in water.

Good luck to you and Hennie!

Back
Top Bottom