Lethargic, gimpy chick

Nykchyks

Hatching
Jan 21, 2018
I have a 4 week old chick that doesn’t seem able to support itself on its legs. It eats and drinks vigorously, however usually needs help to reach the food and water as it mostly rests on its belly. When it moves around, it crawls. It also exhibits labored breathing. It’s entire body moves left with every breath. It appears to be able to move its toes when held, so I dont suspect paralysis. We have immunized the chick and are giving it medicated water, but it doesn’t seem to be improving.

I’m looking for advice on what could possibly be the problem and how we might treat it. Could this be illness or is it injury?

Hi and welcome to our BYC community.

I'm sorry that your chick is not doing well. What have you immunised it for and when? Did you hatch the chick yourself or is it from a hatchery? A chicken sling or hammock will help to keep it in a more comfortable position and enable it to reach food and water more easily. They can be made as simply as the photo below....
sling 2.png
Obviously this is aimed towards a full size chicken but I'm sure you will manage to scale it down for a chick. The birds legs go through the holes. You can cover the whole of the box with fabric and cut an extra hole at the back under it's vent for poop to drop through and make slits in the front within reach of the chick where you can push yoghurt pots through with food and water for them. Clothes pegs will be easily strong enough to support a chick instead of stationary clips as seen. It helps if you make it so that they can just touch the bottom so that their weight is supported but they can be weight bearing if they choose to use their legs. I find stretchy T shirt type material works well.
It is important to support their digestive system when they are poorly and a good quality vitamin supplement like Nutri Drench in the water may help.

It is on the young side for Marek's disease, but that may be a possibility particularly if you hatched it yourself and it has had exposure to your own flock. The voracious appetite is reasonably common with Marek's Disease at least in the early stages whereas if it was coccidiosis, they usually go off their food. Have you checked that it's crop is functioning properly? Withhold food for a few hours and check that it is going down. Also check that it is pooping OK. Having an impacted gut could put pressure on the hips and leg nerves and cause it to be front heavy with an enlarged crop resulting in it being unable to stand and falling forwards.

Unfortunately this may not end well, so be prepared to euthanize if quality of life deteriorates and of course, if you can afford it, seek veterinary advice.

Back
Top Bottom