Lethargic hen not walking

NightFury06

Songster
Apr 3, 2020
England
About a week ago I noticed my hen, Gertrude, not looking keen to walk, not joining with the others, just generally not seeming herself. However a few days ago she worsened considerably, lying on her side, not even moving when I pushed her. I honestly thought that she was dead.
Anyway, I took her inside yesterday I think, and made her drink some water. She took some soaked food later as well and perked up quite a bit.
However when I put her outside to see whether she would walk, she tried but just laid down again. When I lower her to the ground, she opens one foot to step but the other stays closed.
Can anyone advise, because I’d love to help her, if I can.
Thank you!!

Have you checked to see if she’s egg bound? Or if there’s an injury to the other foot
I thought at first she may be eggbound, but given that she’s pooping I’d say she’s not. Also, I would’ve expected her to have died by now, realistically. I cant see any visible injuries; but that’s not to say there aren’t any.

How old is she? Does she still lay eggs? I would guess that she has some illness or leg issue making her not be able to get around, and then she is becoming weak and dehydrated from not enough food and water. Try giving her some human B complex vitamins or chicken vitamins that contain riboflavin daily. Mareks disease and riboflavin deficiency can cause curling under of the toes, and lameness. If she is older, she may just be having a hard time getting around.

How old is she? Does she still lay eggs? I would guess that she has some illness or leg issue making her not be able to get around, and then she is becoming weak and dehydrated from not enough food and water. Try giving her some human B complex vitamins or chicken vitamins that contain riboflavin daily. Mareks disease and riboflavin deficiency can cause curling under of the toes, and lameness. If she is older, she may just be having a hard time getting around.
She’s about 3/4 years old, and does still lay eggs, although she’s stopped this last week. I’m making sure she’s drinking now, but I will try giving her vitamins! :)

Here’s a photo of the foot, she didn’t like me touching it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom