Lethargic hen, wings out, dirty, pulsing vent

AmyBella

Songster
13 Years
May 26, 2009
Western MA
1) What type of bird , age and weight. Red sex link, 1 yo, a little skinny, but fairly normal weight
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Standing around, not foraging, listless, wings held out like she's hot, head tucked, tail up, vent is really dirty underneath and sort of open and pulsing.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? was doing the wing thing two days ago, but it was hotter... didn't really think much of it. Lethargy just started today.
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Her rear abdomen feels weird... her posture is weird so that may have something to do with it. There is a bony protrusion. It doesn't feel round and firm like the other hens.
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing unusual.
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. yes, her crop is full and she happily ate a little salmon and her mash an hour ago.
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. She made a really loose poop while we were outside, kind of mucusy. Since she's been inside she made 2 very normal looking poos, but the second one had a bit of mucus around it.
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Separated her, put electrolytes in water.
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Self
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use A-frame tractor with coop on top, pine shavings.

Well, when I let the chickens out to free-range this afternoon this girl stayed behind. Poor thing is not a happy camper, but she seemed fine this afternoon at treat time. She has been laying consistently and she definitely laid this morning. The one loose poo that I witnessed looked a little like egg white and that made me very concerned!

Thank you in advance for your opinions and advice!

Great link! Thanks so much!

My girl is fine today... just having trouble passing an egg. She went through a phase where she laid soft-shelled eggs about 5 months ago. Seems like it's happening again. She perked up as soon as she passed it. I gave her a tums... she has free choice oyster shell, but maybe she needs a boost from time to time. I also took the opportunity to check her over for parasites and she's clean, thank goodness!

Back
Top Bottom