Lethargic Hen with Watery, Undigested Poop

I know this thread ended a while ago, but feel the need to share the sad end of this dilemma with my hen. After she "got better" she had a relapse of these same symptoms in the middle of April. I thought she would magically get better again, but she seemed to be doing worse than ever. I was reccomended a vet that knows chickens well, and he told me her abdomen was filled with fluid (how did the other vet not catch that...) and she was weak and emaciated. We could have tried tk save her, but her chances of survival were pretty low. The vet thinks it was most likely ovarian cancer. Sadly, we decided to have her euthanized around Memorial Day. :( If only I had brought her to this vet from the start... Thank you to any and all who helped me with this issue.

Last edited:
I'm so very sorry for your loss shadow. I also lost one of mine. not the one who was sick though. I've had a girl laying soft shelled to no shelled eggs since January when she started laying. I tried everything to get her to lay hard eggs. nothing worked. well she passed away last Friday unexpectedly while I was at work. she was a sweetheart and very smart. I miss her. I should have taken her to the vet I suppose. I was hoping with the warmer weather and free ranging it would correct itself.
sad.png
I was gonna take her to the vet in a month or so if it didn't start turning around.

Thank you. And sorry for your loss. Perhaps your hen had some sort of calcium deficiency? Even if you took her to a vet, there may not have been anything they could have done. Did tour other hen recover?

Yeah, I think there was something wrong with her reproductive track. I tried all kinds of calcium supplements, deworming, crop massage, calcitrate, liquid calcium, higher calcium feed, etc... after months of trying to firm up her eggs, nothing worked. I think either one broke inside her, or she started laying internally. I take solice in the fact that she had a good life, even though it was short. She was well loved, she was my Baby. here she is:

My other hen has recovered and seems fine so far, so that is good :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom