Lethargic Hen with Watery, Undigested Poop

Here is a picture of her poop. Normally it is more white and less green, but I just cleaned up and this is the only poop from her I could find.

Baytril is as good an antibiotic as you can get, and will treat most any type of infection. With clostridium perfringens and other types of enteritis, and with certain worms, there can be blood in the droppings. Also, please worm her with Valbazen, since capillaria worms can be treated with that--dosage is in post #5. She may well have a problem with immunity. Several diseases can cause that, especially having coccidiosis in the past, and if she may have enteritis, it may be worse. Infectious diseases such as avian leukosis and Mareks disease can also cause problems with immunity. Many people will use a multivitamin and probiotic in the chicken's water 2-3 days a week to bump up their intestinal immunity.

Baytril is as good an antibiotic as you can get, and will treat most any type of infection.  With clostridium perfringens and other types of enteritis, and with certain worms, there can be blood in the droppings.  Also, please worm her with Valbazen, since capillaria worms can be treated with that--dosage is in post #5.  She may well have a problem with immunity.  Several diseases can cause that, especially having coccidiosis in the past, and if she may have enteritis, it may be worse.  Infectious diseases such as avian leukosis and Mareks disease can also cause problems with immunity.  Many people will use a multivitamin and probiotic in the chicken's water 2-3 days a week to bump up their intestinal immunity.

So baytril will work on enteritis? I will definitely worm my birds. I have to go to TSC soon so I'll see if they have it, or check agway. If not I'll order it. I will also use some type of probiotic. My old vet who has chickens says she uses apple cider vinegar. I'll use that or probiotic. Im Hoping she clears up. I haven't fully ruled out the possibility of peritonitis, but I'm just hoping it's not...

FWIW, someone in the peafowl forum recently had her 3 year old hen test positive for coccidiosis and capillary worms.

-Kathy

Cocci is always lurking for an opportunity.

Egg, since I've been reading about entiritis in depth, and I'd like to learn more about Baytril, can you give me a source for that? I would like to read anything available about them. And I've inadvertently ended up with 3 bottles of Baytril. Thanks in advance.

Not much different. Her comb is more red, but she's not eating much. I can only get her to eat mealworms, seeds, and noodles. Tomorrow I'm going to try to give her wet feed. My chickens love wet feed for some weird reason (I always make sure it's fresh though).I'm going to see how she is tomorrow and bring her back to the vet if needed. I can't tell if her abdomen feels swollen or not. It feels bigger than my other birds, but most of my others are slim bantams. The vet said she didn't seem in pain when she pressed her stomach... We'll see what happens.

Baytril will not effectively treat enteritis caused by clostridia, but it will treat most gram negative infections. Good table here that shows what drugs work on some of the more common bacteria:
[COLOR=333333]http://www.octagon-services.co.uk/articles/poultry/gamebirds.pdf[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]-Kathy[/COLOR]

What would you use to treat clostridia?

If I knew for sure that it was clostridial, probably amoxicillin, tylosin or metronidazole.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom