Lethargic hen with white/green watery poop

saylahvie

Chirping
Aug 31, 2021
This polish hen is a little over a year old. She has been lethargic since yesterday and is squatting down but not in the penguin-like stance. Tonight we noticed she also has some heavy breathing. No other flock members are exhibiting any symptoms. She isnt very handleable so we havent been able to do a physical inspection. She hasnt been eating or drinking much since yesterday. I was able to entice her to a little bit of cottage cheese (her favorite) but that is it. I’ve attached photos of her abnormal droppings. She is not laying eggs, but all our adult hens stopped laying a month ago due to decreasing sunlight and/or molting. We did have an active mite infestation a few weeks ago that we treated using elector psp. Please help!

Attachments

• 6395EE31-AD6B-4D77-B6E1-2F556B880C77.jpeg
    6395EE31-AD6B-4D77-B6E1-2F556B880C77.jpeg
    419.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 102C1311-7608-4692-9CBD-FA88D2F47AB4.jpeg
    102C1311-7608-4692-9CBD-FA88D2F47AB4.jpeg
    684.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 9E63D4F6-3FB8-417B-BA20-126BBCAB1023.jpeg
    9E63D4F6-3FB8-417B-BA20-126BBCAB1023.jpeg
    711.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 29EDF252-C658-4E96-946D-62CD1665D8F8.jpeg
    29EDF252-C658-4E96-946D-62CD1665D8F8.jpeg
    810 KB · Views: 5
Is she sitting or walking on her hocks? If so, I would get some human B complex tablets and give her 1/2 tablet daily in food or a spoonful of water. She has a lot of mucus in her poop. Have you wormed her or ever treated for coccidiosis? I would make sure that she is drinking, and eating some watery chicken feed, and offer some egg or tuna. Hold it up to her beak. How is her crop feeling? Does it empty by the next morning? Is her lower belly between her legs enlarged or swollen? Sulfa antibiotics might be something to try giving her in case of infection or coccidiosis. Here is where to find sulfa:
https://jedds.com/products/medicox-medpet
https://globalpigeonsupply.com/products/sulfadimethoxine-12-5-powder

If you could see a vet, they could be of more help, and do a fecal float for worms and coccidiosis.

Is she sitting or walking on her hocks? If so, I would get some human B complex tablets and give her 1/2 tablet daily in food or a spoonful of water. She has a lot of mucus in her poop. Have you wormed her or ever treated for coccidiosis? I would make sure that she is drinking, and eating some watery chicken feed, and offer some egg or tuna. Hold it up to her beak. How is her crop feeling? Does it empty by the next morning? Is her lower belly between her legs enlarged or swollen? Sulfa antibiotics might be something to try giving her in case of infection or coccidiosis. Here is where to find sulfa:
https://jedds.com/products/medicox-medpet
https://globalpigeonsupply.com/products/sulfadimethoxine-12-5-powder

If you could see a vet, they could be of more help, and do a fecal float for worms and coccidiosis.
She is walking on her hocks and not sitting. I wasnt suspecting coccidiosis because I have not seen any blood in her poop. I do have Corid on hand so I could go ahead and just try to treat her. I havent seen any worms either but before this she was a bit on the thin side so maybe worms is the cause. Is there a specific dewormer you recommend? Crop felt empty this morning. I couldnt tell if her lower belly might be swollen or if it just looked larger because she is squatting low. We will definitely give her some electrolyte solution tomorrow and eggs.

You could use the Corid, but I think she needs the B complex for a possible riboflavin deficiency more. When using Corid, B vitamins are not given. I recommended the sulfa since it treats coccidiosis as well as many bacterial infections. Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and repeated in 10 days is very good for worms. SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste can be used 1/4 ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 consecutive days.

Last edited:
Update:
We found the hen collapsed in the coop this morning. We brought her inside the house and have been attempting to give her Sav-A-Chick electrolyte solution by syringe. Assuming the worst at this point especially since she cant even keep her head up. The only promising sign is that her eyes are wide open and not sleepy looking.

Another update: We gave her some antibiotics and started tube feeding her some food mix powder. She has been slowly regaining more function everyday and is looking like she will make a full recovery. Thanks so much for your help!! :)

Back
Top Bottom