Lethargic, not eating, not moving around

bmayer

Chirping
Jan 14, 2016
Rhode Island
my huge 5yo buff Orpington hen, Eymma, was found yesterday morning looking very under the weather. I was able to assess her and get her to drink a little and she ate a few mealworms before shuffling off to lay under the coop where she stayed the rest of the day. Her comb is wilted and dark, she was walking and standing like her belly hurt, has been sitting refusing to get up for really any reason, and really isn’t interested in food or drink.

It has been close to 100° here Saturday, Sunday, and again today. My family and I went out for the day on our boat and I figured she wasn’t going to be with us within hours of leaving her with how she looked. I had my husband go check on her when he got out of work in the early afternoon and he reported she was still here. We got home late last night and I had to fetch her from under the coop. She did not put herself back and I realized she really had no mobility at all anymore as I was carrying her back to her flock.

Well, here we are, more than 24hrs later and she is still here. Still not interested in food or drink. She drank a few tablespoons of water this morning but isn’t interested in anything now. She is in the house sleeping in the air conditioning. I was able to syringe feed about a tablespoon of liquid sugar to see if I couldn’t jump start her system. She perked up a little to the point where she would fight the feeding but nothing more. She also hasn’t made a peep yesterday or today. Swallowing looks painful at times.

She hasn’t laid eggs that we know of in a couple years so I doubt she’s egg bound, and her crop was empty yesterday and this morning so there’s no impaction or sourness happening there. My guess is I have an older chicken who’s body is giving up. But I don’t want to assume and not try. Any input that could help my little one would be greatly appreciated.

Can you get some Poultry NutriDrench and give her a few drops up to 2 ml daily? At 5 yrs and not laying, she could be suffering from a common reproductive disorder. Some of those are internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, salpingitis, and those can lead to ascites or heart failure and death.

It is hard to pinpoint an illness usually until after death, so you can only try to keep her eating and drinking, and give the electrolyte drench. Is her lower belly enlarged? Does she have normal poops? Has she lost weight or is her breastbone prominent when you pick her up and feel of her? There is no great treatment or cure for reproductive disorders. Some try antibiotics, such as Baytril and amoxicillin to help prolong life. If a vet is a possibility, or you can take some droppings in for a fecal test, that might be helpful to rule out worms or coccidiosis.

Her abdomen does seem enlarged behind her legs and her breast bone is more prominent than I’d like to see. Poops are almost nonexitent at this point since she hasn’t been eating but it looked like she may have had slight diarrhea. Reproductive disorder does sound like it could be a very high probability.

So sorry that you lost her so fast, but good that she isn’t suffering. You could try doing your own necropsy, taking pictures to see if anyone can help you identify a certain problem. Take pictures of her organs. If you get a professional necropsy, keep her body refrigerated. If you cannot do either, that is understandable.

Back
Top Bottom