Lethargic old chook

Beanz

Hatching
Feb 3, 2024
My 3 year old Isa Brown hen stopped laying about a year ago after 2 years of extra extra large eggs. Just recently she has become very lethargic and has stopped eating. I can't even tempt her with her favourites. It's been warm here and she does struggle in the heat. I know she is getting on in age for an IB, I fear she is getting ready to pass on. Any ideas

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your hen.

Where are you located in the world?

Sadly, production hens can often have reproductive issues which shorten their lifespan.

Feel her abdomen below her vent, is there any swelling, bloat or fluid?

I'd work on trying to make her comfortable if possible. If your weather is warm, see if you can provide her with deeper shade and cool water. Electrolytes in the water is o.k., but I'd also make a dish of plain water available too. Hydration is important. Once she's drinking well, then offer her normal feed, wet or dry. Small bits of watery treats like tomato, cucumber or watermelon/melon may be enticing to her as well.

If it suddenly heated up from a much cooler temp that had been the norm for a while, your hen may be suffering from dehydration and heat sickness. Try giving her sugar water with electrolytes, or regular Gatoraid (with sugar), and see if they revive her. Her symptoms could be from the heat or from a chronic reproductive infection, which is what killed three of my production hens over the last two or three years. All had been around the age of your girl.

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your hen.

Where are you located in the world?

Sadly, production hens can often have reproductive issues which shorten their lifespan.

Feel her abdomen below her vent, is there any swelling, bloat or fluid?

I'd work on trying to make her comfortable if possible. If your weather is warm, see if you can provide her with deeper shade and cool water. Electrolytes in the water is o.k., but I'd also make a dish of plain water available too. Hydration is important. Once she's drinking well, then offer her normal feed, wet or dry. Small bits of watery treats like tomato, cucumber or watermelon/melon may be enticing to her as well.
Thank you, she is not drinking on her own so I gave her water today via an eye dropper. We are mid summer in Australia so it's warm, but she has plenty of shade, water and food if she wants it. I had to carry her to the chook house tonight. Poor chook. We had plenty of cuddles today. I even brought her inside into the cool today and she slept on my lap while we watched TV for an hour.

Thanks for your advice.

If it suddenly heated up from a much cooler temp that had been the norm for a while, your hen may be suffering from dehydration and heat sickness. Try giving her sugar water with electrolytes, or regular Gatoraid (with sugar), and see if they revive her. Her symptoms could be from the heat or from a chronic reproductive infection, which is what killed three of my production hens over the last two or three years. All had been around the age of your girl.
Thank you I'll try that.

Back
Top Bottom