Chicken sick after standing in rain

Countrylife19

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
My chicken has been sick about a week..last weekend I found her in the coop tunnel soaking wet from the rain and lethargic I took her into the house. She was only drinking but now has started eating a little again..she has lost a lot of weight so I'm worried about her. She is an isa brown about 4 years old. Never been sick before. She still seems a little lethargic but is getting her energy back. Nothing wrong with her feet or her breathing all normal..her butt looks fine no issues with laying eggs as far as I know. No bleeding anywhere. Any ideas?

My silkies have gotten themselves drenched numerous times.

It's important that they be warmed and dried. Then I give them Poultry Cell in their water one day, and probiotics the next. That's to help build immunities. She should be okay but if she starts shaking her head, sounding raspy, sneezing, watery or bubbly eyes, etc., she may need an antibiotic.

I am posting pictures of my drenched silkies so you know what I mean. It happens often and they don't get sick.

IMG_0523.JPG

They do have access to the inside and outside during the day it was nighttime and all the other chicken's went in earlier except her..she is in the house so I can keep an eye on her until she is ready to go back with the others..I tried to give her hydro hen in her water to give her electrolytes she didn't drink much but she is drinking water which is good. Her voice is a little off for her but it may be because she lost a lot of weight. I had a barred rock get sick and lose weight in the past and ever since then her voice is different

She was only drinking but now has started eating a little again.
Usually indicative of a crop condition. Sometimes it can pass on it's own.

I would check it at around roost time and then again before access to feed or water to make sure it's emptying, not sour, blocked, etc. If she is isolated over night can also give a good chance to see her droppings.

Have you even treated for worms? Could be one cause of losing condition. Marek's is another possible cause of slow wasting.

Hope you fins answers and she perks back up quickly! :fl

Back
Top Bottom