Lethargic, puffed up feathers and diarrhoea

Newchickenowner 2020

In the Brooder
May 7, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm having a really difficult time deciding what to do tonight and need your advice. My beloved Edna, a 2.5 year old polish bantam was sitting outside in the garden at dusk, puffed up with drooping wings. Her wattle didn't seem as bright as usual. I noticed small pools of green-coloured diarrhoea all around her and when I picked her up, she seemed very lethargic. She drank a little and was mildly interested in corn but normally has a very healthy appetite. Her eyes seem clear though, she has no hardness in her abdomen and her breathing is normal. I saw her at about 10 am and she seemed happy and healthy so this seems to have come on over the last few hours before sundown. No other birds are exhibiting similar symptoms but I did notice another one of my girls making little sneezing sounds, although is otherwise normal.

I'm going to give her some Beryl's Friendly Bacteria but should I try to get her to an emergency out of hours vet tonight or do you think this can wait until 7 am when the vet opens tomorrow? I don't have a car (the clinic is 20 mins away so will need to get a cab) and will need to find someone to look after my toddler, plus the out-of-hours bill is going to be £250 +. But then again, I love her so much and I wouldn't forgive myself it came down to early medical intervention tonight. Thank you for your input here. x

@Tookie Thanks so much for checking in - she's up and moving around and seemed excited by the treats I scattered for her. Her crop is empty now but she's still dragging her wings and looks puffed up. I really wrestled with taking her last night but thought it would also be really stressful for her so am waiting for the vets to open this morning to get her an appointment first thing.

@Tookie Thanks so much for checking in - she's up and moving around and seemed excited by the treats I scattered for her. Her crop is empty now but she's still dragging her wings and looks puffed up. I really wrestled with taking her last night but thought it would also be really stressful for her so am waiting for the vets to open this morning to get her an appointment first thing.
Did you take her to the vet?

Did you take her to the vet?
She's there now and they've recommended keeping her overnight. The vet wasn't sure but said it might have to do with her liver so they're doing blood tests and putting her on antibiotics. The poor thing was so quiet and lethargic when we took her in, it was really heartbreaking. I feel so silly being close to tears on the phone with the vets about a pet chicken but she really is part of the family.

She's there now and they've recommended keeping her overnight. The vet wasn't sure but said it might have to do with her liver so they're doing blood tests and putting her on antibiotics. The poor thing was so quiet and lethargic when we took her in, it was really heartbreaking. I feel so silly being close to tears on the phone with the vets about a pet chicken but she really is part of the family.
Ok! Keep me updated!

Ok! Keep me updated!
Ok this is my worst nightmare. They called to tell me she has septicaemia and is very ill. I've been asked to call tomorrow morning, "assuming she survives the night" according to my very unsympathetic vet. I'm not going to sleep tonight I'm so upset. She's been my little buddy since I got her - she follows me around the garden, sits on my shoulder and chatters to me. I know chickens don't live forever but I really need more time with her.

Ok this is my worst nightmare. They called to tell me she has septicaemia and is very ill. I've been asked to call tomorrow morning, "assuming she survives the night" according to my very unsympathetic vet. I'm not going to sleep tonight I'm so upset. She's been my little buddy since I got her - she follows me around the garden, sits on my shoulder and chatters to me. I know chickens don't live forever but I really need more time with her.
So sorry to hear. :hugs
Can it be treated?

The usual treatment for that disease is strong antibiotics because the infection is spread into her blood stream. Usually some sort of derivative of the Cephalomycin family is used but mus be administered carefully as these powerful antibiotics can also cause anemia if too much is used. My hen had a similar diagnosis was prescribed Chloramphenicol, which cured her but it took a few days, and I had to isolate her because she was so weak. It took another few days of monitored time to integrate her back with her three sisters. Hope your girl pulls through, as I just went through a 10 day ordeal with my girl, and it is hard if you are attached to them like me. I will tell you that when you save their life, and they recover, they do appreciat it. My Lois now come right up to me and jumps on my shoulder to show her appreciation for the care we had to give her to survive. Hang in there, we a re rooting for you and your hen.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen :hugs
It's good that you were able to see the vet and is getting care. I hope they are able to treat her with success and she'll be on the mend on no time.

Back
Top Bottom