Let's be honest folks!!!

I so appreciate this post and am looking forward to more people weighing in. The coop is really what's keeping me from getting chickens as I just don't think I could really build something this complicated - and budget would be totally out of control because of the number of tools I'd have to buy to even consider it! I've looked at the pre-made and they're cute and marvelous but very expensive and the pre-cut kits don't look like they'd really be the kind of thing that could be insulated for Minnesota winters. 

Maybe I should start looking for retired guys with tools.... :D

Once you get the tools and build the coop, you'll not only have a coop for the same or less than you'd have paid, but the expertise to build or repair more things for yourself. Build your own! Win/win. Even if it comes out less than perfect, experience is priceless.

To answer mine:

1. A week. But the main building was already built. (old shed)
2. More expensive. By the cost of a roll of wire.

There are definitely advantages to having "junk" around!

I did put junk in quotes. It was junk laying there, but for sure useful stuff once I discovered I'd a use for it! I wouldn't mind someone with junk wheels around here, too. Sadly, in these days of pneumatic wheels, that's the first thing to go. What I would give for some of those old iron wheelbarrow wheels.

About two weeks, and since everything but the shingles was cull lumber, absolutely. The "little red barn" coop is by the rules too small for the chickens that sleep there, but they seem to neither know nor care about the rules.

3 weeks in and one wall put together....and still laying on the ground in the backyard. So far I have invested more money in my chickens than the coop/run itself. We shall see! Tomorrow is garden day, but will involve coop too I am sure.

Ten days and I didn't really have a budget but just a number in my head that I wanted to keep it "around" and it was only a few bucks over that.

Coop will hold 20 birds(per the square foot rule) and cost me a little over $200, with a few pieces of lumber already on hand.

My 17 year old and his friend want to build mine... they think they can do it in a day and only want to be paid $80 each! HA HA HA HA HA... Of course, I agreed to the price and I'm enjoying my wine while watching with my mouth closed! Serves 'em right: my son named my chickens "Nugget" and "Terriyaki"

It usually takes longer than you plan. Even if you are within your budget, if you are like us, you "keep making changes, improvements, need more wire, one more piece of lumber" etc. etc. . . .

My DH says are eggs are worth about $100.00 each.
big_smile.png

I HAVE a retired carpenter building mine!! He's a good friend and isn't charging me labor only for his gas to come out to my place. He has been here for a couple weeks, 4-5 days/week and just works 2-3 hours at a time. I'd say it is about half way done. I, of course will pay for the lumber which 3/4 of it is new. So I'm not sure how much this whole coop will be in the end!!! He has lots of time since my chicks aren't coming till the middle of May so they won't be in the coop till July! The coop is in the corner of garage and being a carpenter he has built it like it was a room extension on my house!! I live in NE Ohio so it is fully insulated and has electricity going into it. Here's a photo of the progress as of today. There's a window inside the coop and the door will have a window that you can open. Vents around the top have hardware wire as will the windows. I will have time to paint I think.

Nice!! It would be nice if everyone posted pics of the coops, how long it took, what tools and materials were used, the estimated price of their coops, and how many birds they expect to house in it. It would be interesting to actually see the wide range of styles and costs of everyone's coop on one thread, wouldn't it?

Back
Top Bottom