Let's see your egg baskets!

I have a few different baskets that I use, but this one is my favorite. It looks nice on our counter, haha
big_smile.png
I got it for a dollar at a tag sale. I also have a few others that I got at the dollar store, they are metal ones. I use those when this one is on display on the counter. I usually only leave the eggs on the counter for a day/ What we don't use in that day, goes into egg cartons in the fridge for people to buy. I don't wash any of our eggs either. If they are so dirty that they have to be washed, then we usually just toss them. But that almost never happens.

That is beautiful! You must have a LOT of chickens! I love the rainbow of colors that you have there! If I had really thought it through before getting my first chickies, I would have been sure to get another easter egger and some chocolates. LOVE those!

Do you store them in there too or just collect them in it?

I usually just use the basket to collect eggs. I transfer them to cartons if they are going to be sold. I have a small fridge where I store the extra eggs that I sell. I do bring the basket to the house when we need eggs. I figure my family should always have the freshest ones :)

I was using a cheap little plastic Wal-Mart basket with part of a cardboard egg carton in it. Worked great when I had only 3 hens. Now I have 12... very glad my mom bought me this basket... unfortunately since its sorta see-through, and it sits at the edge of a rock walkway usually, making it even harder, I frequently step on it or kick it... gotta find a new home for it, lol

Mine are pretty much bog standard egg baskets.

I order them from whatever hatchery happens to carry them that I'm making a chick order from. They're fairly durable and are easy to keep clean. I think the last one came from McMurray.

For the other poster who asked about washing eggs I wash all of mine since I sell eggs. The ones my family eats though usually do not get refrigerated. Just washed, dried, and kept in a carton on the counter. The sale eggs are washed, dried, and refrigerated to retain quality until they are sold.

Mine are pretty much bog standard egg baskets.

I order them from whatever hatchery happens to carry them that I'm making a chick order from. They're fairly durable and are easy to keep clean. I think the last one came from McMurray.

For the other poster who asked about washing eggs I wash all of mine since I sell eggs. The ones my family eats though usually do not get refrigerated. Just washed, dried, and kept in a carton on the counter. The sale eggs are washed, dried, and refrigerated to retain quality until they are sold.

Which birds lay the green ones?

Easter Eggers. Some folks call the dark green layers "olive eggers." There are some blue ones in that basket as well, but the white stove-top fades them out. I'm working on two color lines - one olive, one blue. Plus the usual browns and whites.

When I was reading up on the whole wash/don't wash, refrigerate/don't refrigerate thing I was surprised. Mostly because all of the sources on the interned said the same thing. That never happens! What I learned was what you guys already know. The bloom keeps them safe at room temperature. Washing that off means they have to be refrigerated. Easy peasy.

The part that I never knew (and don't really care enough to research further) is that because of the shell being so porous, once you put it in cold and it starts to cool/shrink inside, it will actually put other air, flavors, bacteria into the egg. So, mine sit on the counter.

All the articles said the same as far as shelf life. If unwashed on the counter, 3 months. If washed and refrigerated, 1 month. I can't quite wrap my mind around eating a 3 month old egg. So it doesn't matter. I'll use or get rid of them before then. It won't be me who tests the theory.

But anyway, my egg basket is red wire from the dollar store and it goes so well with my kitchen. I use a fruit basket to collect then check them over. I use a dry towel to flick off any dirt or poo that may be stuck on the egg. Then they go in my wire basket.

When I was reading up on the whole wash/don't wash, refrigerate/don't refrigerate thing I was surprised. Mostly because all of the sources on the interned said the same thing. That never happens! What I learned was what you guys already know. The bloom keeps them safe at room temperature. Washing that off means they have to be refrigerated. Easy peasy.

The part that I never knew (and don't really care enough to research further) is that because of the shell being so porous, once you put it in cold and it starts to cool/shrink inside, it will actually put other air, flavors, bacteria into the egg. So, mine sit on the counter.

All the articles said the same as far as shelf life. If unwashed on the counter, 3 months. If washed and refrigerated, 1 month. I can't quite wrap my mind around eating a 3 month old egg. So it doesn't matter. I'll use or get rid of them before then. It won't be me who tests the theory.

But anyway, my egg basket is red wire from the dollar store and it goes so well with my kitchen. I use a fruit basket to collect then check them over. I use a dry towel to flick off any dirt or poo that may be stuck on the egg. Then they go in my wire basket.

Yeah see I knew I wasn't the only one that heard of the long life as long as they are cool and dry!!!!

Back
Top Bottom